looking at 2002 crownline 192 BR,questions

newboater37

Cadet
New potential boater, looking at a 2002, crownline 192BR with about 230 hours.
It has the 4.3MPI
Any opinions on this boat?

I notice, this boat, back in 2010 or 2011, where people were posting about selling prices in the 8-10k range.
This boat is over that, have used boats gone up in general over the last several years, as new prices rise?

Any opinions appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

jkust

Rear Admiral
I'll do my usual and let's pretend that the boat is in perfect shape and skip the condition discussion
I like those Crownlines especially the LPX package or whatever they called it. They seem to be a little bit narrow in the bow and that for some reason I see those early 2000's with carpet when carpet was being phased out but that they seemed to have the MPI optional engine more than other small lake boats. 2002 was the first year of the 'modern' MPI/smartcraft capable V6 and small block V8. I tend to see them without a swim platform as well. Pricing is hyper regional and then the seasons complicate that even more.
Without the MPI engine, I wouldn't consider it but with the MPI, I would look at it and to me 8k would be a fair deal in my neck of the woods.

tpenfield

Staff member
You can look at same similar boats to get a better idea of pricing. Used boat prices have seen a bit of an upswing in the past couple of years, but not to the point of wiping out 7-8 years of depreciation.

NADA for that boat is about $8,800, for whatever that is worth. When new, that boat cost in the $25K range.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
have used boats gone up in general over the last several years, as new prices rise?

Yes, I'd say the higher cost of new boats in general has helped the resale value of used boats. I don't know that they've gone up from where they were a few years ago though.

I won't state the obvious and talk about how condition is important. Well duh! My advice is find a boat(s) you like based on style, layout and amenities & then find one worth buying. If your willing to travel that helps. I'm in MN and my Sundancer came from Cincinnati.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi there.

Not 100% sure, but was there a 4.3 mpi put into boats in 2002 ? I thought the smaller mpi 4.3 and 5.0 were first seen in 2003 as an option.
I could of course be wrong. If I am, it would be a rare thing. Someone on here will know better I’m sure.
Point being, if I’m right, ask if the engine has been replaced at somepoint and why. The dearer cost may be someone trying to claw back the expense of a reengine at your expense. Just a thought.

newboater37

Cadet
Thank you for the advise. This boat, is listed at $17900 and is in Cincinnati, has no trim and the 4.3 MPI. I thought 17900 was ridiculous, though i see similar ones in that range as well around here. Even with the low hours, its a 16 year old boat.

tpenfield

Staff member
Thank you for the advise. This boat, is listed at $17900 and is in Cincinnati, has no trim and the 4.3 MPI. I thought 17900 was ridiculous, though i see similar ones in that range as well around here. Even with the low hours, its a 16 year old boat.

Don't even waste your time . . .

Maclin

Admiral
Hi there.

Not 100% sure, but was there a 4.3 mpi put into boats in 2002 ? I thought the smaller mpi 4.3 and 5.0 were first seen in 2003 as an option.
I could of course be wrong. If I am, it would be a rare thing. Someone on here will know better I’m sure.
Point being, if I’m right, ask if the engine has been replaced at somepoint and why. The dearer cost may be someone trying to claw back the expense of a reengine at your expense. Just a thought.

See my sig...

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
See my sig...

Well I’ll eat my words, haha. Must admit though, they will be rare on a 2002 boat surely. Maybe worth asking just in case it was an engine change on the crownline perhaps.

shrew

Lieutenant
$17,900 is ridiculously high for the boat. I found 2 2000 model year of the same model selling for $9,900 online. Just because that is the price the owner is asking doesn't mean that is the value of the boat. He could be listing it to get his wife off of his back and priced it so he could keep it.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
WOW! 17900 is insane! I am seeing those for sale all over for less than 10. 17900 in my neck of the woods (between Milwaukee and Chicago) will get you a 2013 or newer bowrider. 2008 if you are looking at premium brands

jkust

Rear Admiral
Hi there.

I've seen MPI (the modern version I mentioned earlier on small block v8 and v6) in model year 2001 boats but that the hull had a model year 2002 engine in it. Manufacturers may have leftover hulls that the put a newer engine in as the years cross eachother.

The Modern mpi first appeared for engine model year 2002. My point earlier as well was that for reasons I don't understand, small Crownlines had the MPI engines put in them when it was far more rare to go into an inexpensive, small boat when the upcharge from a carbed engines was a material amount of money.
As others have mentioned, that is an outlandish price for that boat.