Lid seals

Cane river

Cadet
Replaced carpet with tuff seal, what do I use to make lids fit tight and take out the gaps where carpet was filling?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Pics!? Without seeing it, I'm thinking you probably need to pull out the lid assembly and re-install it, possibly shortening the standoffs that are causing the gap.

In any case, I'd use the lid trim to fill the gap, and not some filler material.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first welcome aboard

second..... please elaborate on tuff-seal. you are either talking fibered roofing cement or you are talking the PVC snap together garage tiles.

my guess this is some sort of bass boat that originally had carpet wrapped around the edges of compartment covers. and now you have a 3/4" - 1" gap

you have three choices

choice #1 - live with it
choice #2 - make new compartment covers
choice #3 - re-install carpet.

Cane river

Cadet
I mentioned tuff seal it's called tuff-coat!! The spray in liner .but you are correct on the gap. I hate your solution lolol because that's what I was thinking my options were going to be thanks.

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can you add some sort of wood trim to fill in or hide the gaps? Or are the compartment lids fiberglass?

Cane river

Cadet
Everything is fiberglass . I did find a better way of removing the old hard marine carpet glue!
after working with acetone with very little success .And that old fashion easy off oven cleaner. Spray on let set for about an hour use a puddy knife come right off. Wash down and you done .

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Dont know if there’s room, you know the welt cord that your seats have car boat whatever. Piece of vinyl sewn over a thin cord. If your doors are thick enough to glue or staple a welt cord in you could have someone sew up pieces for this pretty cheap. Pick out some vinyl that matches your colors. The cord could be whatever thickness you need to fill the gaps, I would have it sewn at the cord and the edge to hold the flaps together.

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What about that black rubber weatherstripping like around the trunk lid on a car?