How bad will this turn out?

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm hoping the OP will keep us updated on what he finds out from the marina and the insurance company. Probably won't be settled anytime soon. Usually, the longer it takes the better the owner does.

harringtondav

Commander
I'm hoping the OP will keep us updated on what he finds out from the marina and the insurance company. Probably won't be settled anytime soon. Usually, the longer it takes the better the owner does.

I'm the OP, but my pal owns the boat and this tragedy. Last update is the marina is going to remove shafts, support struts, props, rudder and shafts on both sides. Trim tabs also. They will repair or replace all at their expense. They told him they'll have it finished by this Christmas.

Unknowns are hull damage at the rudder shaft supports and prop struts. One prop was driven into the bottom of the 'tunnel', so that needs to be repaired. We are wondering if the inside shaft support/packing gland also took a hit. Time will tell I guess.

A worker backed a fork truck into the swim platform and damaged this too, and caused the boat to topple. So my bud gets a new swim platform. I suggested he have the marina keep the slings in the water for an hour or so when he launches next spring. Then take the boat out for a good hour+ road trip to check it out, and to see if his bilges stay dry. His bilges have been dry, so if he is taking on water, back to the slings for more repair.

He's sure they will address any issues that arise. But that won't be much help if his boat sinks in the slip during the week.