Prop

USN Squid

Recruit
I just got a 1994 Bayliner 2452 and being a newb trailered it the first time and jacked up the prop.... I have owned sleds so the outdrive is new to me. Rookie mistake... Anyway my question is what is the best 3 blade prop i can get for her?? also the pitch. Thanks

tacx

Petty Officer 1st Class
The old prop should be stamped with the diameter and pitch.

Birdman84

Seaman Apprentice
The old prop should be stamped with the diameter and pitch.

+1

Should be indicated on the prop. Unless there is a concern with your rpm's or speed I wouldn't change the prop size/type.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Lots of good prop makers. I have a Solas I like. I also bought a Michigan Whell model that was nice until it got banged up.

Before worry about brand too much, decide what kind you want: aluminum vs. stainless steel, 3-, 4- ot 5-blades, etc. Then start shopping brands.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Solus aluminum is a great value priced prop this will leave some money for a couple sized props to try ? When you know what works best then a move to a SS prop might gain you in some areas maybe not? I would stick to a three blade prop on that boat. You might get a better launch on a four blade but a three blade will achieve higher speed and better fuel economy.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Lots of places rebuild props for much less than new, depends how much you jacked it up.

If it is just bent a bit a few taps with a hammer might fix it, if you ground half of it off then a new one, also there are innumerable props on Ebay for less than new.

Size is on the old prop and I would just replace with that, should be on the hub, the part the blades attach too.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I owned one of these boats for 10 years and believe me I tried at least 8 different props. First of all it depends what you have for power and gear ratio of the leg. Mine originaly had a 305 2bbl rated at 200 HP, the leg ratio was 1.65. The best prop I found for this set up was a Quicksilver 16x16 with the wide blades,gave the best holeshot and would stay on step at lower speed than anything else I tried. After the first summer I switched to a 4 bbl carb in a quest for a little more power, that's what I got, a little more top speed, about 5 mph.I got the local prop shop to add some cup to the 16x16, definatly helped the hole shot. After fighting the 305 for 5 years I built a 350 Magnum,tweaked it up to around 280 HP. I kept the 1.65 ratio leg and after a little prop swapping I found the best was a Quicksilver 15.5x18 for a heavy load or a Michigan wheel 15.5x19 for a light load. Hope this helps

lpurcell

Recruit
My 1999 2452 (220hp) came with a 15" dia x 17" pitch three-blade aluminum prop. Recently changed it to a 15" dia x 16" pitch 4-blade aluminum for slower planing speeds. It worked, but WOT is at right at the lower end of the acceptable range. May still need to move to smaller diameter and/or less pitch to get WOT back up.

roffey

Commander
Unfortunately for the OP, asking what the best prop is like asking what the best tires for your car are. This is a debate that can go on and on.... Like anything else in life you will always want more hole shot and more top end problem is you cant have both, lol. Good luck with your search.

Best advice was given earlier, see if you can fix the old prop?

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Unfortunately for the OP, asking what the best prop is like asking what the best tires for your car are. This is a debate that can go on and on.... Like anything else in life you will always want more hole shot and more top end problem is you cant have both, lol. Good luck with your search.

Best advice was given earlier, see if you can fix the old prop?

Best advice, I don't think so. Who knows what the old prop was and if it was the best for this application, my 2452 came with a 14x17 ss . prop that didn't work worth a pinch of coon &*%#$. It took hours of swapping props and doing test runs to find the best all around prop.
BTW, after I did the engine swap I sold the 16x16 with added cup to a new owner of a 1999 2452 with the 220 HP 305,he was more than happy with it,huge improvement over the15x17 it came with.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You need to know if old prop performed spot on for your current pplication and load as a starter prop, then go from there to a less pitch size maintaining same number of blades if in need to pull wot revs up towards middle to max wot rpm range factory stated.

If going for any other prop will need more attempts investing more money to get the best prop for your application, with a starter prop the route is shorter and less expensive.

Happy Boating