Battery charge for winter storage

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure where to post this question.
Is it worth while to keep my battery on a trickle charge? I usually put it on a charger a few weeks before the season.

jkust

Rear Admiral
At my lake house, I have quite a few boats and toys, lawnmowers, fourwheelers, snowmobiles, boatlifts etc that have batteries. At a minimum, I will put certain batteries into the heated garage and others get a smart charger. Have lost a number of batteries to the extreme cold in northern MN over the years when not on a smart charger. Some never had an issue and others would freeze when not in a heated garage, expand the case then be bowed out come spring and not working. Problem is that in the spring when you are ready to put everything in the water and recommission, one dead battery that isn't available locally is a weekend killer.

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Yes Thanks! I lost a battery last year that should've lasted at least a couple more years. Had a feeling it was a winter issue.
Thanks again,

jkust

Rear Admiral
Yes Thanks! I lost a battery last year that should've lasted at least a couple more years. Had a feeling it was a winter issue.
Thanks again,

If they are fully charged and disconnected, they are supposed to make it through but then I can't explain my lost batteries.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Batteries stored in colder the better as far as discharge is concerned as long as they don't freeze. Storing them in a heated area will cause them to discharge faster! I keep batteries on a 3 stage charger 24/7 during the winter if I can. If I can't keep them on a charger, I charge them up once they get down to 12.5 volts.

Sometimes a trickle charger will boil the batteries depending on the trickle charger. They should only be at a float voltage of a round 13.5 when the battery is fully charged. If the voltage is higher than that, you need a better charger.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Batteries stored in colder the better as far as discharge is concerned as long as they don't freeze. Storing them in a heated area will cause them to discharge faster! I keep batteries on a 3 stage charger 24/7 during the winter if I can. If I can't keep them on a charger, I charge them up once they get down to 12.5 volts.

Sometimes a trickle charger will boil the batteries depending on the trickle charger. They should only be at a float voltage of a round 13.5 when the battery is fully charged. If the voltage is higher than that, you need a better charger.

For us, if there is no snow and we don't go up to snowmobile, I don't see the batteries until the spring so can't monitor their condition throughout the winter. It hasn't snowed worth of sledding since 2013. Bringing the batteries into the warm garage from the unheated garage is the best I can do whereas the unheated garage in northern MN can become a challenge some years when not on a charger. I've only got so many chargers and could use a few more.

tacx

Petty Officer 1st Class
A fully charged battery may discharge more in a heated area, but it won't kill the battery. Store it in a Michigan or Wisconsin winter and a partially charged battery will balloon up.

BUT, that being said, a healthy battery fully charged and stored for the winter will USUALLY make it OK.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
A fully charged battery freezes at -76°F so if it's warmer than that, no worries.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
None of my boats are at a place with power in the winter, and I usually manage 7+ years out of boat batteries. Disconnect the negative cable, and reconnect in the spring. If for some reason a battery would ever freeze, the battery was shot before it froze anyway, so time to replace.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I don't believe in trickle chargers. Even with the expensive ones you run the risk of boiling out the electrolyte. I check condition (fluid level and volts)and charge monthly. All my batteries are 90% or above at all times.

If I can get only 8 years out of a battery I change brands. Used to swear by Die-Hard, but they don't cut the mustard any more.

I just replaced my classic car battery after 21 years. I only drive 60-100 miles every year. That was an awesome battery. I replaced it with another one just like it.....LOL.

jkust

Rear Admiral
None of my boats are at a place with power in the winter, and I usually manage 7+ years out of boat batteries. Disconnect the negative cable, and reconnect in the spring. If for some reason a battery would ever freeze, the battery was shot before it froze anyway, so time to replace.

Whereas I have had fully charged, expensive boat batteries freeze in an unheated garage only to scramble come boating season to find a replacement, my lawnmower batteries, waverunner, 4 wheeler batteries, snowmobile batteries basically the smaller rec equipment batteries seem to have a much harder time in the extreme cold. So if my riding lawn mower battery has lived half its life, the worst case scenario is I have to walk across the yard and so I'd rather keep a half used lawnmower battery healthy for another few years than go shell out eighty bucks and have to drive from my lake home way into town to get it come spring. This year, I just brought that battery into the heated garage not on a smart charger. Sled batteries are a hundred bucks, waverunner batteries are about the same.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
4 wheeler batteries, snowmobile batteries basically the smaller rec equipment batteries seem to have a much harder time in the extreme cold.

How do you keep those warm in the winter? ;)

I average 3 years on my snowmobile batteries no matter what I do, always three years. My sleds don't have a pull-start backup, so I tend to replace them at the first hint of failure, and I'm too cheap to go to some of the lightweight high dollar lithium's.

jkust

Rear Admiral
How do you keep those warm in the winter? ;)

I average 3 years on my snowmobile batteries no matter what I do, always three years. My sleds don't have a pull-start backup, so I tend to replace them at the first hint of failure, and I'm too cheap to go to some of the lightweight high dollar lithium's.

Well, I know you are joking but of course they are getting used so no issues.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Whereas I have had fully charged, expensive boat batteries freeze in an unheated garage
Some years ago I had an end-of-life car battery and I wanted to reclaim the lead inside for another purpose. So, I drained out the electrolyte and filled it with water. Put it in the back yard for an entire Buffalo Winter. I thought a frozen battery would be easier to break open.

No chance. No damage at all to the case. How DO you get a battery to freeze?

jkust

Rear Admiral
Some years ago I had an end-of-life car battery and I wanted to reclaim the lead inside for another purpose. So, I drained out the electrolyte and filled it with water. Put it in the back yard for an entire Buffalo Winter. I thought a frozen battery would be easier to break open.

No chance. No damage at all to the case. How DO you get a battery to freeze?

Buffalo, so you are a southerner.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
The chemical reaction slows down the colder the battery is so it is best to keep watch on the voltage to prevent freezing or the accumulation of lead sulfate crystals on the plates. I have found that keeping the battery in a cool place above freezing and charging it prevents this.

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class
My batteries are 8 years old, I put them on a Minn-Kota charger everytime I come home and get the boat cleaned up,
and put away.

My trolling motor batteries stay on a charger all summer. In the winter I disconnect those two batteries and the starter and just let them sit in the cold. The starter is still the original that came with my boat in 2009. The trolling motor batteries are about three years old. The original did not die but was replaced when I upgraded trolling motors and needed two batteries.

Leaving outside is generally fine unless there is something wrong with the battery.