Titling a boat in Texas...UNBELEIVABLE!!

Railroader12

Seaman Apprentice
I need HELP from a Texan on this, Im LOOSING my mind and literally want NOTHING more than to see TPWD get hit by a meteorite and burst into flames....its unbelievable what they are putting me through over what is ESSENTIALLY a fricken KAYAK!

This is quite the little story, so bear with me.

I purchased a small bass raider 10e used 2 months ago WITH a title signed front and back and a bill of sale. During that week I also purchased a 2nd bass raider brand new AND a 23' Tahoe deck boat so I decided to let this one go. Sold it to a friend at work. This is where things get silly.....

Friend goes to register it, they start hooting and hollering that the date has been tampered with and re-written and send him home empty handed. He calls me understandably concerned so I try to get ahold of the guy I bought it from to write a letter stating it was an accident, he THEN tells me he has owned it for a year and never signed it over so he just went and wrote OVER the original date with the date I bought it...Wow......Cool, my bad for not checking, oops!
Fast forward through all my efforts to locate the ORIGINAL registered owner I was finally able to track him down for my friend, he gets in contact and meets up with him. Hes super old and 100% REFUSES to just say he sold it to my friend on such and such date to cut out the middle man who decided never to register and make this easier, no big deal, the penalty and taxes are LITERALLY 30 bucks anyways so who cares. He was even nice enough to write a completely new bill of sale in my friends name and sends him on his way. Friends Wife accidentally throws it all away 2 days later...lol. He has to bug the old guy AGAIN for the same paperwork. Hes not happy but does it anyway.
Goes BACK to TPWD and they tell him, "NOPE" WE want to KNOW who didnt register it! The TITLE is Worthless without a 2nd bill of sale", "someone could go to jail over tax evasion over this!" "BLAH BLAH blah... Oh...MY....God..the amount of pure horse manure that spews out of these peoples mouths are worthy of a Saturday night live skit.
Were BOTH pissed at this point, so I just say, screw it! "Ill just go with you, claim I purchased it from the original owner and say I changed the date of sale and offer to pay for YEARS back just to make this go away!" ITs RIDICULOUS and remember people......its a Fricken $500 KAYAK! He just wants stickers so he doesent get messed with using a 30lb trolling motor on it!

That was today.....They told me I could be TICKETED for not REGISTERING A FRICKING KAYAK WITHIN 20 DAYS of ownership transfer! I demand to talk with a supervisor while SOMEHOW managing to keep my cool throughout this ridiculous power trip from the other side of the window... "Sir, Im sorry, but we need another signed affidavit from the original owner explaining the date discrepancy" I explain to her the man is literally over 80, is already BEYOND annoyed with this as he should be, and as the rest of us are. I offer to PAY BACK TAXES PENALTY AND INTEREST from the YEAR the thing was manufactured in 2013 and I was NOT kidding. She smirks and tells me NO!!! And adds, that If I dont furnish the signed affidavit from the original owner I may as well throw the thing in the trash because they WILL NOT process the title transfer without it. Un....beleivable. Did I mention we have the SIGNED TITLE FRONT AND BACK, NO LIENS AND A BILL OF SALE FROM HIM????????

What can I do now assuming the old man flat out refuses to touch another document??

Oh, and SCREW TPWD!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It ain't the great state of Texas - It's the seller you bought it from. As far as throwing paperwork away, blame whoever you want!.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Around here, we just give the information to a friend in another state, wait for the paperwork to come back then go down and get it registered in our state as an out of state gift or purchase, takes a few months but works every time.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
First seller broke law and failed to reg and title then lied to you.

Yoi our screwed up and didn’t check paperwork, then failed to title and register.

Old guy guy committed fraud with lies on bill of sale.

Now you you are doing the same thing.

You up all cheated the state out of tax money.

Just give your your friend his money back and destroy the boat.

Your mistakes, your loss.

Railroader12

Seaman Apprentice
I'm hoping that maybe some of my post was just misunderstood or mis interpreted....I owned the boat for 8 days before selling it to my friend, this has gone on for a few months trying to make it legal.

2nd, I'm not scamming the state out of anything and as a matter of fact OFFERED to pay 5 YEARS of taxes Im NOT RESPONSIBLE for just to make them happy and get this little thing legal.

....some of these responses... wow.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Advice - If you don't want responses, don't post the question.

What you don't understand is Texas wants a clear, unbroken ownership path. It was like that during the long time I lived there and is still that way today. The ownership is broken in your case and TPW caught the problem and told you what is needed to rectify the situation.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Problem is that they have heard several versions of what happened now, and have likely made notes in and flagged the file. They don’t know which version to believe.

Not or saying anyone did any of this on purpose, but shortcuts were taken, or steps skipped for convenience sake.

Be be glad you don’t live in Illinois, where you need to deal with several regulatory agencies, several tax authorities, and state which will take 5-6 months to get you your title.

tpenfield

Staff member
The issue is the the person you bought it from never had title to the boat in his name. You then bought the boat and sold it without title in your name.

Each time the boat changed hands, the state would be owed taxes and fees, which they have not received. So, that is the guy you bought it from and now you.

The state agency will typically just refuse the mis-matched paperwork and send the applicant on their way, rather than play ‘let’s make a deal’.

The alteration of the title by the person you bought the boat from makes it a red flag for the agency.

Assuming you have looked into the Texas regulations, does a small boat like that even need a title? I think that would be your only hope at this point, or possibly register it in a state that did not require a title.

In hindsight your mistake was buying the boat from someone who did not have a title in their name.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Like GA said, if you don't want a response don't post the information.

And by the way, that is not a Kayak in any state in the country, that is a boat.

As such it will have a HIN and a Coast Guard certification and capacity plate on it.

Attachments

• photo299744.png
    photo299744.png
    639.9 KB · Views: 0

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
The best advice I can give you is to do exactly what they want done or drive that thing out of state register it in a freinds name and then put it back in yours when its done. I lived in Texas in the 80s I bought a Vette from the family of a dead guy. The family had power of attorney but the wifes name was on the title. The wife was in jail for “ killing the now dead guy” so she wasnt going to sign any thing. I finally gave up after two or three title lawyers gave up on it all three of them were confident they could handle it they advertised for getting titles transferred that were tricky all three gave up and even sent me back my money. Texas is something else. Other states could care less you have a signed title they want your money.

Another option is a lien which is Alamo a headache and time consuming this is how all the title companies I tried were going to get me a title by stating the vehicle or vessel in your case was abandoned on your property and you have the right to charge for this and when no one comes to pick it up you can proceed with a lien forclosure and get a title that route.

briangcc

Commander
Reading all through that I found at least a couple title jumps on a boat. It may be the size of a kayak but at the end of the day it's a boat. I could see where the DMV/BMV/whatnot wouldn't look too kindly on that.

Best advice - follow the instructions the DMV is giving you to transfer the ownership of the boat.

Maclin

Admiral
As a Texas resident, I bought a boat from out of State, and needed to title it in Texas after the grace period. That State allowed me to register it there even with my out of State address. Once all that went through it was a simple enough matter to get the Engine serial number form filled out along with the hull "rubbing" form filled out, and along surrendering the other State's registration and payment to the Texas office, voila. Very easy to deal with if you look it all up on the Texas website.

Disclaimer:
This is only the description of an experience of a purchase where the title was in transferable and transparent chain of ownership. It is not meant in any way to describe a method to title-jump or any other purpose that may be frowned upon or actually prosecuted by any afore-mentioned State agencies. Just Sayin'.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Being born and raised in Texas I can tell you what you consider BS is in reality policy and procedure. Texas Laws are in Stone! G A and others are right!! Selling it out of State thing works; but it's still wrong; and takes time.The State AG will walk you through the legal way; but it will take a looong time.

SkiGuy1980

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Indiana is the same... you have to register and pay taxes each time the boat (or any vehicle) changes hands. Even if you've only had the boat 8 days. Usually not much problem as long as you follow the law.

Sometimes you just get caught in a mess. I bought a boat in Ohio and had a heck of a time getting the title. My bank sent the payoff to his bank, but rather than sending my bank the title they sent a notice to the seller that the title was released and he now needed to file for a duplicate title. What?? :confused: Apparently that's the way they handle it there. However, the previous owner didn't want to be put out and wouldn't file for the title. My bank was not helpful in clearing this up (gee, I'm making payments, so what do they have to worry about). This went on for 6 months and I'd had enough. I called the guy and let him know the boat was still registered in his name... and hopefully nothing would happen that he might be held responsible for :D .....then I called my bank and reminded them that they had loaned me a lot of money for a boat that they didn't have a lien assigned in their name. I promised them if something happened to me my kids would strip that boat down and sell it piece by piece... they wouldn't see a cent :rolleyes: ..... Gee, suddenly the bank and PO got together and I got my title. :peace: What a mess!