Replacement of rotten wood on seats and engine cover

Shippy96

Cadet
I have just purchased my first boat, a 2000 Bayliner capri 2050 LX. The floor is solid and the hull was well taken care of and the engine was just rebuilt and has 10 hours on it.

Now the cover for the engine is rotten ( wood is just falling out of the rear when its extended to show the engine) and the mounts for the swivel on the rear have broken free (screws holding the plate for the swivel). I was curious if anyone has experience replacing that wood or any good ideas to re-enforce it. I was thinking a layer of plywood screwed into any good wood i can find because the vinyl cover is completely fine. One of the back seats (removable cushion) also caved in the middle after i accidentally stepped on it. Would plywood work for that a swell just screwed in from the bottom?

Another thing is for carpet repair. There is a small patch probably 5' by 5' that is up and exposing the plywood bellow. Would cutting a new piece of waterproof carpet and glue it down work or am i just looking at a full carpet replacement?

southkogs

Staff member
I haven't done it with my Bayliner, but I did on my last boat: I took all of the vinyl and insulation off the wood carefully. Used the old wood to map out a new "dog house" and then reattached the old materials to the new wood.

I've done something similar with one of the rear seats of my Bayliner, so I'm thinking I could do it to the engine cover as well.

Welcome aboard.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
How much time you hoping to buy yourself for how much work. My boats wood was dying hard I did a few patches and bought myself 2 years. Then one day I decided I needed a new boat or I was fixing mine. It was easy after i shopped for its replacement and discovered I have a great boat and the replacement for it was more than I could justify. If you want some time pull some of the material back and see where the ( fictional good wood starts) and patch up what you can. Or jump in and fix it.

Shippy96

Cadet
I will be working on it today. I watched a video on a guy who patched just the piece of wood where the hinges are. The boat itself is in pretty good condition and the price i paid for it was good especially since considering they spent 3000 for the engine to be professionally rebuilt. I will post pictures of what it actually looks like later.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Well, replacement of the wood is inevitable. Can you finish the season and do it over the fall?

I used the original wood as a template and cut new pressure treated 1/2" plywood pieces. I then screwed them together where needed and practical with 2X2 PT wood to reinforce joints. Less critical joints were joined by strips of fiberglass cloth and resin.

It is hard to fiberglass in real cold weather, so don't wait too long.

superbenk

Commander
I’ve never heard of a good outcome when covering bad stuff with good. I think you’d have far better results if you take the time to do it right from the beginning & actually replace the rotten stuff rather than just cover it up.

While le I was at it I’d do some research into using something like StarBoard (https://www.iboats.com/shop/black-starboard-1-2-x24-x54-taco-marine-lumber.html) or other non-wood alternative that won’t rot in the future. I know it’s expensive, but the end result would be far better.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
With a bit of carpentry skills you can easily do what you say you are intending to do. It's not Kitchen cupboards it's a wooden Dog House and a seat. I personally would not patch it, rip it all out and do it right. As far as the carpeting same as the wood, it's up to you, patch it or do the entire interior. I am a rip it out and do it right kind of guy, my Wife may not agree. I might or might not dig a bit deeper and see if you have a rotten floor as well. If enough water got in the boat to rot the Dog House and seat what about the floor? I hope not but I think you may have a deeper problem. Water tends to flow down hill.