water damage in pontoon boat?

Job1

Recruit
I am thinking of buying a 2016 SunTracker pontoon boat that looks like new. However it has been left uncovered, in the rain for a couple of months. How durable are the seats. Would they develope mildue damage from being left in the rain for so long?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am thinking of buying a 2016 SunTracker pontoon boat that looks like new. However it has been left uncovered, in the rain for a couple of months. How durable are the seats. Would they develope mildue damage from being left in the rain for so long?

Should be marine grade vinyl and a couple of months of off again and on again rain should really not bother them, just clean them up with a good mild liquid soap solution and then wipe down with a vinyl protectant and they should be good to go.

A couple of months is really not a long time, I have seen them be uncovered for a couple of years and still be fine and that is with snow sitting on them, then spring time rain for a few months.

Maclin

Admiral
Does it get direct sunlight when it is not raining? Mildew dies out in the sun. But direct sunlight also eventually breaks down the vinyl. If the vinyl was properly protected ahead of this 2 month stint then it might be ok.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You only need to post your question in one section, you have two threads going in different sections right now about the same subject.

Job1

Recruit
Well, the person I would be buying if from said he bought it a couple months ago and decided it would not work for him so he is selling it. He has had it sitting outside in a field behind his house without a cover since he got it. It has been raining almost every day for a few months here in southern Wisconsin. The boat looks nice, but it is wet. There is water in the storage compartment under the seats. So, I am concerned that water may have gotten into the foam and will later cause mold. Are the seats on pontoon boats durable enough that this would not happen?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well, the person I would be buying if from said he bought it a couple months ago and decided it would not work for him so he is selling it. He has had it sitting outside in a field behind his house without a cover since he got it. It has been raining almost every day for a few months here in southern Wisconsin. The boat looks nice, but it is wet. There is water in the storage compartment under the seats. So, I am concerned that water may have gotten into the foam and will later cause mold. Are the seats on pontoon boats durable enough that this would not happen?

Well one thing about colder climates which Wisconsin is, the rot factor is down over a hot climate like Florida, sun is one of seats worst enemies because of UV damage, if you buy it get it dry, then clean and protect them with a good quality treatment and then cover them up. I live in a northern tier state as well and rot and UV is not as much as a problem like it was when I lived in Hawaii. I would not expect them to be damaged after a couple of months.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Not two, but three. I hope they are all in this thread because they all start with the exact same text. In Pontoons, Resto and Non-engine topics. If all three threads didn't end up combined - C'est la vie

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Pontoons are made for water so it really wont hurt them.

The vinyl has plastic under it so doubt he foam got wet and I have had a marine wood bird feeder outside unprotected for probably 10 years, it just turned grey but is still as solid as the day I built it so I would say no worries.

I would be more worried about GA boater and the multiple posts, the boat is fine.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If the boat has been sitting in a field in Wisconsin I would be more concerned about damage to wiring and fabric from furry critters called mice, raccoons, squirrels and a host of other pests. Make sure everything works, including the engine before you pop for this "bargain". Just "needs a tune up" means the engine doesn't run or barely runs.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Pontoons are made for water so it really wont hurt them.

The vinyl has plastic under it so doubt he foam got wet and I have had a marine wood bird feeder outside unprotected for probably 10 years, it just turned grey but is still as solid as the day I built it so I would say no worries.

I would be more worried about GA boater and the multiple posts, the boat is fine.

I don't worry about me at all. But I am concerned about why the OP shows 0 posts after the forum burped while combining the other day.

You still out there, Job1 ?