What's in your tool and spare parts box?

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
For me:

I/O:

1. Spare prop with known good hub.
2. A wrench to remove the prop and retainer.
3. Decent 3/8" drive socket set. With spark plug socket of correct size.
4. Three pliers. Slip joint, needle nose, elec. crimpers.
4. One LONG spark plug wire.
5. Impeller (if Volvo)
6. Various electrical connectors..
7. Electrical tape.
8. Gorilla "duck tape". That stuff will stick to anything. Worth the extra $$$.
9. Appropriate fuses.
10. Lengths of electrical wire.
11. Engine accesory drive belt. If serpentine, a breaker bar to draw back tensioner.
12. Spare water/fuel seperator filter.
13. One quart-engine oil.
14. Small hammer.
15. Spare clamps of various sizes.
16. Roll of paper towels.
17. Sharp knife or box cutter. (Cut of many a rope the prop found in the water)

Outboard:

All the above plus:

1. Prop (stainless) cotter pins.
2. Outboard engine lube oil.

Trailer:

1. Small floor jack.
2. 4 way Lug wrench.
3. Tub of axle grease.
4. Spare bulbs for lights.

That sounds like a lot. I leave the thraier stuff in the pickup as I tow many trailers.

The boat kit weighs less than what you'd think and if packed right, pretty small in an waterproof plastic container.

My thought is that if you have it, you won't need it. I've NEVER been towed in.

What am I missing?

ahicks

Captain
A tow rope.

In the nearly 40 years I've been living on the lake, I've only been towed twice, but I still carry one. If for no other reason than to use it to tow somebody else in.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
A small waterproof tool kit. An assortment of fuses and unlimited towing from tow boat.

high&dry

Seaman
I carry Seatow in my tool box and a fixed VHF and a portable VHF and a cell phone.

In some places I carry a cheap aluminum prop and a wrench and hub, ball peen hammer.

Extra rode, tow line, sea anchor.

Extra flashlight.

Screw driver set, pliers, spanner wrench or Ford wrench.

Electrical tape, duct tape, some wire, butt splices, fuses.

I believe in preventative maintenance before going out, not emergency maintenance while out on the water.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
used to carry a bunch of tools, etc. however most issues needing repair were things that I didnt have parts for....

now I simply carry the tow insurance card, cell phone and a cooler full because the tow back is usually a few hours....

ahicks

Captain
<<< I believe in preventative maintenance before going out, not emergency maintenance while out on the water.>>>

There's the bottom line for me. Couldn't agree more.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
high&dry;n10580861 said:
I carry Seatow in my tool box and a fixed VHF and a portable VHF and a cell phone.

I believe in preventative maintenance before going out, not emergency maintenance while out on the water.

How does that help when you hit a underwater deadhead and destroy your prop? Preventative maintenance is done to cover the planned items, it does nothing to protect you from the unplanned.

Seatow also only works if they are where you boat. Nearest seatow to me is probably 500+ miles away.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Spare props and accessories.Spare plug and wrench.Spare motor ,lol,6hp kicker .Have a etec so other than plugs and maybe impeller theres nothing I can do with the motor if a problem occurred hence the 1974 6hp Johnson.Also marine tex epoxy in case a hole gets punctured in boat.Even a twig jammed in a lost rivet will stem the flow .No sea town where I fish but close to home theres appox 10 state, federal, and provincial agencies that will come to the rescue licitly split.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Most often when something breaks it is a part and no tool box in the world will fix it but I do carry an assortment of basic tools, screws, zip ties etc.

My last break was a pinion in the lower.

I too river/lake fish so no sea tow, you are at the mercy of stored karma for a tow.

I have towed many more boats than have towed me so hopefully the karma bank is full if I ever need it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I often tow long distances, so even though I'm conscientious about maintenance, I always have a spare set of bearings and the tools needed to change them. Just in case.

Erichlg

Seaman
I was looking for this information! I agree that good, regular, preventive maintenance is key but I like to be prepared.You can plan for everything but it doesn't hurt to plan!