On the lake in a pop up thunderstorm

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What to do?

Try to run closer to shore? (so 50 ft trees are taller than pontoon) of course trees would probably get hit and fall on pontoon
What happens if boat gets hit by lightning...crispy critters?

Just thinking out loud

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What happens if boat gets hit by lightning...crispy critters?

someone comes out after the storm to retrieve the bodies. BTDT

best to simply get off the water fast or not go out if weather says chance of T-storms

svan

Seaman Apprentice
Good Question,
Most of the times I outrun or go around storms if possible. Those Pop-up storms are not usually large. I do head towards shore though.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Many variables to consider in your scenario, so the determination of what to do depends on the individual circumstances. For me, not enough detail here to answer your questions.

Generally, if in a storm before you can get to shore, secure the boat, and get to a safer location - head into it slowly, batten things down, contact someone to let them know your circumstances, hunker down and minimize contact with anything conductive.

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The lakes I am on, it would be very easy to get to the shore, and secure boat and wait it out (TVA finger lakes)

I was thinking some of the big lakes or ocean

If pop ups are expected, I keep my phone on NOAA radar on my helm so I can watch it (we have 4g on most areas)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your on the lake during a lightning strike, your going to be hit, either directly, or indirectly. lightning has no conscience.

after helping pulling the bodies of 3 fishermen back to shore, I no longer stay on the water if the sky gets dark or the weather radio says a storm is coming. not a thing in the boat is worth my life. Im headed in at WOT

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1st off sorry for lengthy and wandering answer/question

Weather radio, you mean like VHF alerts? I am installing my VHF radio this weekend and linking it with my chart plotter, also have a MMSI number...now if I actually ever had to flip my red cover and use it...I have no idea if anyone would monitor it on the small lakes :noidea:

I do not know if the radio will get nautical weather alerts for my area (mnt lakes of TN) we do have broad cast for small planes and stuff (my boss flies)

Main reason for linking everything and MMSI is when we boat in the sound at Emerald Isle (once a year) I want to be familiar with everything and have it if needed

I am hoping to get weather adviseres here

I will be monitoring 16 just in case someone needs help and they revert back to what they know and have learned

I just found out TVA and the fish police monitor 17 here

southkogs

Staff member
Here in the Nashville area - I've been caught in a pop-up storm one time. That's all it took. I've been stuck out in storms before up North, but here was different. My biggest fear was if I tried to get into shore, I would get beat to slivers on the rocks. The waves were much bigger than I would have expected.

Now, I'm chicken enough to bag it at the hint of bad weather.

VHF works for weather here, but so does the cell phone and computer. And I check weather prior to any trip like a pilot would. On the lakes near Nashville, no one uses the VHF much. Occasionally you'll hear someone on it, but not too often. There are about 6 agencies on Percy Priest, and all of 'em do monitor 16.

I deal with the Gulf about the same way as I do Nashville, but I've been in bigger storms down there but most haven't scared me as much as the one here did (which I find ironic).

For the most part I work hard to not be out. But, if I'm caught in something my first inclination is to get in and off the water. In the event that I don't feel that's safe, I'll run into a cove if I can find one to get some protection from the waves and wind, and hope the trees can run interference on lightning.

scoflaw

Ensign
The reason they call them "pop ups" is just that. Untrackable. Sunny swflorida leads the country with death by lightning

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
In 1984 I got caught in a thunderstorm with a couple buddies fishing from a 14' tinny on Silver Lake near Spokane, WA. It was NOT fun. We were close to shore (it's a small lake) but there was no protection from the storm at all and we just climbed up on a hillside and squatted down in shallow gullies waiting for the storm to pass. Lightning and strong winds with the storm. Scary stuff! :D

Tnstratofam

Commander
We got caught in a storm last year on Watauga lake. This is one of the main lakes where bansil and I live. The cove we were fishing in gave us some shelter.

At first it was mostly rain with some wind. When that let up we started back down the lake towards the ramp we put in at.

That would have been a 20 minute ride at wot however the storm kicked back in with a vengence about the time we made it under a bridge ( The bridge at Pioneer Landing for those who know the lake).

It is a concrete bridge which offered some shelter from the wind and rain. It was raining so hard I couldn't see more than 2 feet in front of us. We were in our aluminum Starcraft to beat all.

Not my best day on the water. The storm let up after about 20 minutes and we headed back in. Of course it didn't rain the rest of the day, but we had had enough so we packed up and went home.

The forecast that day was only 20% chance of rain, but the mountains around our lakes can hide bad weather brewing just around the bend.

Now if there is any chance of thunderstorms we stay close to the ramp or simply stay home.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If I stayed at the dock every day there was a chance of storms I might was well sell the boat.

Getting back to shore or beaching isn't an option in my neck of the woods. Quite often you can run around or away from them. If you can't avoid, just hunker down and pray your not lucky enough to win at Power Ball.....

I've had graphite rods rattle in the rod holders a couple of time. It's knocking on your door

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I have always kept an eye on the weather but with my life of boating, I recall 2 instances where summertime afternoon squalls popped up on the Gulf Coast and even though I was several miles away, heading for shelter, I felt a tingle a few seconds after I saw it hit. In both instances I was touching metal that was on the water. I just figured the bolt hit the water and dispersed....in every direction I guess. Never studied it.

mr 88

Commander
FYI Lighting strikes can be up to 10 miles away from.the actual storm. So when you see it approaching in most cases your already in.harms way. Every.marine radio I have ever used has a weather / NOAA station that should be monitored before ypu even step foot on.a boat.

high&dry

Seaman
Grew up boating on the Gulf, if we did not go out with potential thunderstorm activity possible then we would never go out. Lake Pontchartrain can beat the snot out of boaters on a good day, running WOT for shelter, what shelter? Ridden out a number of storms on small BW boats or similar. Yes, one does feel like a target. Pull the bimini down, turn the antennas down, hold into the seas until it is over. H&D

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All great info and stories, thank you

Tnstratofam :wave: saw your location when I first joined, maybe see ya'll on the water one day

jkust

Rear Admiral
We don't get the pop up storms here like other areas I suppose. The few times I've been 'surprised', I high tail it back to the house. I've waited out a few storm on the lift.

briangcc

Commander
Where I boat, going closer to shore increases the chances of striking a shoal. IF possible, I'd get back to camp as quickly as possible. IF not possible, I'd find a soft spot to beach and ride it out on dry land. My boating season is short so if it's cloudy or raining chances are I'm out but alert as to the conditions around me. First rumble of thunder and I'm heading back as it simply isn't worth risking it as the lakes I'm on get really nasty really quickly.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I guess I do things differently than most here,.....

I built a semi-rigid bimini top,....
Bolted to my tinbarge, I've never feared lightnin',.... placed my faith in the Faraday Cage Effect,.....

Been out in some really crazy weather, 'n so far, haven't been struck by lightnin', ...

On the glass barge I'm throwin' together now, there'll be another semi-rigid bimini, 'n it'll be bonded to a big ole zinc bondin' plate on the transom, that'll hopefully withstand a strike, if that day should ever occur,....

RGrew176

Commander
For me there is only one thing that scares me out on the waters. It's lightning. I have been caught out a couple of times in 50 years plus of boating. My last boat had a radar and I could track storms and sometimes steer around or clear of them. My current boat does not have radar but with all the weather apps available they can be of great help when weather threatens.

If bad weather is forecast I stay in the marina. I will not go out if there's a chance the weather could turn bad. Better safe than sorry IMO.

As to those pop up thunderstorms there really is not much you can do about them. They can happen anytime and many times they are not in the forecast. If caught in one all you can do is try to ride it out.