OMC should I buy or steer clear

Tman1971

Seaman Apprentice
I’m not sure if I’m even posting in the correct spot. I’m new to this but a guy has a 1992 Raven 24’ Cuddy in almost mint shape and has spent about 10 grand rebuilding the 454 and the KC OMC our drive. The boat, motor and out drive all look great and sounds great. However I haven’t taken it out on the water yet. I’m going to look at it again today. But after reading about the OMC King Cobra out drive I’m not sure what to do. It’s an awesomely nice boat and I’d love to have it but he’s selling it pretty cheap claiming he is selling all his toys to purchase a condo for his daughter. He owns a reputable business in our area, some sort of garage but I just don’t know about buying an OMC. I don’t have money to do major repairs if it needs it. But if the boat runs and drive good, shifts good and the temp and oil pressure are good, what would you guys do if you were me? Really need some advice pretty fast as I’m suppose to go look at it again about 11 am Eastern time today. I sure hope I’m creating a post... I may not even be writing this in the correct spot! Uugghhh...

Tman1971

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone see my post? If so please just let me know it’s being seen. As I said I’m new to this and I may need to befriend others before anyone can see my post. I’m just not sure. This is my first time ever trying to post something in a forum. Sorry for my ignorance...

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Free, is toooo much for that boat,..... Especially a King Cobra,.....

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You are looking at an engine that is an Orphan, and parts will get scarcer by the month. It is currently a 26 yr old boat. You say it looks great, well gelcoat and carpet can and do hide a multiple of sins. When you look at use your nose. Sniff every where you can, and if you smell anything that smells like rotting wood or veggies, then something, usually wood is rotting. Check for any soft spots in the floor. Check to see if the engine is cold when you go to start it. Many a hard to start engine fires at the twist of the key when it is warm. Examine the oil. if the boat is on a trailer, check the gearcase for water. If there is a trailer, what condition is it in?
It might be a nice boat, but without seeing it, or reading a survey of it, it really is difficult to give a yay or nay on it

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
read this https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gen...eeding-help-buying-a-boat-a-buyer-s-checklist

as for the OMC. for 10 grand you can build a 509 with a bravo XR. sinking 10 grand into a king cobra is simply nuts. rebuilding a 454 is about $2500

parts are almost non-existant for the king cobra.

if you can get the boat dirt cheap so you can replace the drive with a bravo3 then go for it.

you state you dont have money to do major repairs, then stick to boats that wont need major repairs.

mr 88

Commander
Took a test drive with a buddy that was looking at a Raven years ago. The boat had terrible ergonomics as far as the controls were concerned and I was underwhelmed with the whole setup , it had a Mercruiser setup. He passed on it and a bit later found a nice Wellcraft Coastal for the same money and bought that.

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
As stated so well above, the drive system is an orphan.

Personally, I would only buy it if:

1. The boat is pristine and is just the layout you are looking for,

2. You have or set aside the money to later convert to MerCruiser or Volvo.

Tnstratofam

Commander
OMC out of business for 18 years. Yeah I would pass. Unless you have lots of experience in repairing these drives or you have deep pockets and can find a marine shop that will even work on them it is a bad choice in a boat. Even if it was in mint condition and cheap.

Tman1971

Seaman Apprentice
Wow, well that pretty much tells me what I needed to know. I tried calling the guy today to meet like we had planned but due to bad weather he said we’d have to meet tomorrow. I’ve attached a picture of the boat.

Attachments

• photo289121.png
    photo289121.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Tman1971

Seaman Apprentice
Oh, and thanks for the tips on things to check when looking at boats! That’s very helpful!

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would also have passed. Cuddy cabins aren't in high demand anymore so resale is tough IMO. OMC out of business long ago and their drives were not very highly rated to begin with. In 2001 the bankrupt remains of OMC were bought by BRP, they dropped the OMC and Johnson lines and kept the Evinrude name as their outboard division.