1978 center console bayliner???

Kauaiboy206

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone familiar with this boat? I may have the chance to restore one if it' worth the time and money?

Attachments

• 73609bb15ff840918deb26c23f51deb2-1.jpg
    73609bb15ff840918deb26c23f51deb2-1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
If you like it and have the money to do it, it's worth it. If you're thinking to restore it, and then try to sell it to recover the money you put into it ... it won't happen.

The older Bayliners aren't bad boats, but you're going to have to do the project because you want to and will enjoy it.

mr 88

Commander
I had a 22' one that had the 470 Mercruiser pushing it. . Smallish walk around cuddy cabin. Not a lot of working room in.the corners with the dog house.,but the one your looking at looks like some one added a bracket so that would not be a issue. Was a wet ride when rough for everyone but the captain who could hide behind the console.. Trolled fine and took the waves with no pounding. Not sure how she would be any drier with the outboard. Inside glass seemed to turn yellowish when wet but turn back to the off white when.dry. It even had a 4" cardboard tube to contain the wiring going from.the console to the engine and it was still like new and not all mushed up. All in all it was a decent boat and I sold it a few years ago for 3500. So I broke even after owning it for two years which includes the 470 being rebuilt , actually had 2 guys fighting over it. It was a decent built Bayliner that I probably would of kept if my son didn't get into chartering on Ontario. Had to move up big time at that point.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the materials to restore an old bayliner cost more than the boat is worth. so if it has sentimental value, then it may be worth it.

mr 88

Commander
the materials to restore an old bayliner cost more than the boat is worth. so if it has sentimental value, then it may be worth it.

This particular boat has a one piece drop in fiberglass liner. Basically the cuddy roof/structure/deck and liner is all one piece so there is no place for water entry. Hull is one piece and what I just mentioned is the other piece that makes up the complete boat. The only restoration is pulling off the small amount of wood trim and refinishing that.Has two captains chair that were wood free.along with scuppers for deck drainage.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Anyone familiar with this boat? I may have the chance to restore one if it' worth the time and money?

That depends how much time and how much money. That's an old boat. You and you alone must decide if it's worth it. I can say depending how much it cost you will have many more dollars in it than it's worth today. I wouldn't think that boat in very good condition today would be worth more than a few grand with trailer. The boys just sold another buddy of ours a 21' 1986 Bayliner cuddy with a 5.6 liter Mercruiser for $1800.00. Needs complete wiring and interior work, so far. It's old and looks it. I've fished out of this boat and it is a solid boat, but it's a Bayliner. It's reputation precedes it, justified or not.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
This particular boat has a one piece drop in fiberglass liner. Basically the cuddy roof/structure/deck and liner is all one piece so there is no place for water entry. Hull is one piece and what I just mentioned is the other piece that makes up the complete boat. The only restoration is pulling off the small amount of wood trim and refinishing that.Has two captains chair that were wood free.along with scuppers for deck drainage.

same could be said for boston whalers...... and when water does get in there, its a mess

mr 88

Commander
same could be said for boston whalers...... and when water does get in there, its a mess

The Whalers are a foam sandwich type construction. This one is not,plenty of room for air to move around between the deck and the hull. So that is not a issue. And as far Old Ironmakers comment goes,this is not a mid 80's boat , is completely a utilitarian layout and the glass is actually laid up well. There is no vinyl,cushions ,interior to be worked on, as I stated before its a one piece drop in fiberglass liner, [ includes the cuddy as part of the liner layup ] The wiring is easy to get at and all you have is the running lights, one dome in the cuddy and a bilge pump to worry about. The 60 gallon gas tank also had room for air movement and wasn't glassed in, so it could be removed if need be. If the stringers came up bad I would not get into a rebuild as the whole liner has to come out to address them. But the way it was made they should be dry if the I/O was removed and the mounting holes were filled in correctly. This is a fairly well built Bayliner ,done before they got there negative reputation.

Kauaiboy206

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It was sold before I got the chance to go take a look at it. I just liked how it is laid out. Would'e made a good fishing boat in my area. Restoring the boat hull wouldn' be a problem for me, but the problem would've have been the cost towards buying & installing an outboard motor. Guess I gotta keep looking for that one summer restoration work.

Attachments

• e4a85bedd6514ed4b0eec5a6d0298ed5.jpg
    e4a85bedd6514ed4b0eec5a6d0298ed5.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 0