How to add WHEELS to Boat Lift (retractable if possible!)

lordx

Cadet
Hey all - I have an older 3000 lb capacity cantilever style boat lift from Naylor Systems (A canadian brand based out of Lindsay, ON).

This beast was already tough to move - but two years ago a canopy was added to it - and now even with four people, it is terrible.

I have seen some of the wheels that can be attached to lifts, but once this thing is in the water, I will not be able to mess with bolts etc under the water.

I was hoping for some kind of retractable wheels I could install (something akin to the 'third' wheel on a trailer that you winch up and down when needed).

That way I could winch the wheels down, move the lift into position, and then winch them back up allowing the built in feet to rest on the ground. And when taking it out, I could even hook it up to my truck to drag out at the end of the year.

Any thoughts or ideas? They are all greatly appreciated!

Picture included is of the actual lift - a bit far away - but shows enough of the structure around the legs to be relevant.

Attachments

• photo286637.jpg
    photo286637.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Wheels on lifts are pinned on. The axle stubs remain on the lift. You move them to position, then you lift one side at a time to pull a wheel.

Spent years with a buddy putting in docks/lifts every spring ant taking them out every winter.

alldodge

Staff member
Might be easier to use a flat bed trailer to put it in/out

ahicks

Captain
Some of this will have to do with what you need to roll this thing over to get it in and out. I installed 4 10" hard plastic lawnmower type wheels to one end of our lift. Picked them up at Harbor Freight pretty reasonable. I just drilled a 1/2 hole in the end of the bottom frame and used a piece of threaded rod for an axle (saving the hunt for bolts the right length), Mounted a wheel on each side of the frame on both sides. This allows for one end to be lifted (using a small tractor) and wheeled across the lawn, over the break wall and even rolls on the sandy lake bottom. We just leave them in place. Small enough where you don't notice they're there.

If it did try to sink in instead of roll over, you could add more wheels on each "axle". Works for us anyway...