Mercury "Big Tiller Handle" questions.

khoonie

Seaman
I hope this is the right sub-forum for this topic... I am in the process of buying a Lowe Roughneck 2070 tiller model boat. I am thinking about powering it with a Mercury Command Thrust four-stroke 75 HP motor. I wanted to add the "Big Tiller" kit to it for better control and to ease strain on my shoulder. The dealer said they could install it for me. I am curious to know the opinions of those who have used these "Big Tiller handles". Also, the dealer has asked me if I want to add the hydraulic power steering as well. (very expensive) He says it would be 3000 dollars to add the power steering! Too expensive for me. I would not call a 75 HP (tiller) motor "large", especially for a 2070 tiller model, but here in Tennessee when you say you want anything above a 60 HP motor on a 2070, they look at you like you have lobsters coming out of your ears... So, I would like some comments and/or advice on my choice of the 75 HP with a big tiller handle on this size boat. I do not want blazing speed so much as the ability to easily carry heavy loads of camping gear safely with reasonable speed on a fairly large lake and on rivers. Other than that it will be a fishing boat that can carry 3- 4 people. I prefer tiller control for my needs, but I have a problem with my shoulder and want to make sure I don't wear it out navigating on rough water all day. Hopefully someone out there has some experience with these big tiller handles. Around here no one is familiar with them. Thanks.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I've never owned the big tiller like that, but I've run outboards that big. I would think a center console vs tiller would be kind of a toss up. The console takes up space in the boat, but defeats the need for swing room for the tiller. You still power trim and probably tilt, tank space and battery space. There might be some considerations I'm missing, but I would think it's more personal preference on an outboard that size.

On some smaller outboards that I've had, we used extension handles so you could run the tiller from the center bench. The only thing I recall noticing: It cut down on the steering arc because the handle was adding so much radius. Not a big deal most of the time, but I remember pulling the extension off when it came time to dock - it was easier to turn tighter and get where I wanted. Those extensions were longer than the big tillers are, but something to consider a little bit.