Same boat model, but different, what am I missing?

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking for boats, found those adds.

Same year, model, length.

Big difference in price, one has an arch the other not, one look like a aft cabin cruiser the other like a cuddy.

I'm confused. How can I compare boats if they have the same name and model?
I think the 27' of the second add is the OA dimension.

What is the use of the arch if there is no radar mounted on it? esthetic?
Is it a plus $$$ to have an arch? All I see is clearance problem under low bridges and storage?

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo285951.jpg
    photo285951.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
different years (2001 vs 2002) , different molds

as for the radar arch. its a mounting point for antenna, the All-Around light, and the bimini in addtion to the radar.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see, different mold like in a body redesign for a car after X years.
The new hull seems bigger, so I guess more room inside.

I just found another one with the old mold, and it does have the arch, so it seams it is an option and not related to the mold used.

Capture.JPG

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
Wellcraft redesigned that model for ‘02 and it looks like there were enough changes to warrant a new mold. The reason the older one is a foot longer is because the older one has an integrated swim platform.

go to the wellcraft website, then go to the owners section. You can find lots of info on older models there, including that one.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
From the sales-descriptions, it's often hard to tell, especially the condition of a boat. I have a 1998 Wellcraft 240 SE, the slightly smaller, slightly older version of the boats you're looking at. One of the bigf reasons I picked that one is the cockpit layout, more room than other similar makes, a little less room in the cabin. We like more outside cockpit room. Really like the boat.

Many reasons price may be different - trailer, condition, seller's idea of value, etc.

Ours does not have an arch, but has the same configuration for one to go there. It would be nice to have a place for mounting/attaching, as previously mentioned. But, we often go with no bimini up, and I like it all open most of the time. More pics might help assess the differences, but hands and eyes on it are no substitution...