Anyone have experience fishing out of a 1960's Starchief in San Francisco Bay?

joseytw

Recruit
Hello,

I am considering the purchase of a 1966 Starcraft Starchief (similar in design to a 22’ Starcraft Islander but smaller in every way), but I am unsure how well it will handle if I take it into the San Francisco bay. My boating experience is limited to being out on a few large commercial fishing charter vessels as well as a 20’ Trophy a friend has where the seat is deep enough below the gunnel so that I can rest my elbow on it.

The two things I am concerned about with the 1966 Starcraft Starchief are 1) the height of the gunnels and 2) the height of the driver and passenger seats.

The height of the gunnels on this particular boat is a bit on the low side at 21” (I haven’t sat in the boat yet, but just basing my opinion on the numbers, it seems really low). If the boat is facing into any waves, I am sure the boat will not have any issues cutting through, or bobbing up and over, but I would be worried about a wave or large wake coming over the edge of the Port/starboard/stern sides of the boat.

Question #1: For anyone who has been out in the San Francisco bay on a 1960’s Sunchief, what are your thoughts about the height of the height of the gunnels in regards to safety?

The seat of driver and passenger chairs are pretty much even with the top of the gunnels. There is a handrail that wraps around from the front of the boat so that anyone sitting in the chairs will have the railing at armpit height and the railing extends about 2 feet towards the stern.

Question #2: Aside from it possibly being a wet ride, are these types of railings generally strong enough to support a large adult in choppy conditions - I understand that the quality of craftsmanship is the main consideration in regards to this question, but in a general sense, if these railings are properly attached to the boat, are they strong enough not to bend or tear out?

My main motivation for buying this particular boat is to use for both freshwater fishing as well as bay fishing for halibut. It is aluminum so it is light and easy to tow, has a cuddy to store gear in, is 18.5 ft long, has a deep-V, and is within my price range. It seems like it could make a good bay boat for fishing, but I just don’t have enough first hand experience for this type of boat to make an informed decision. I will not be able to sea trial this in the bay, I would only be able to try it out in a small lake.

Thanks for any feedback or advice!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The closest to SF Bay I have been is going over that big bridge. I did take note that that water looked rough that day and commented I wouldn't be fishing in it. I do fish The Great Lakes though and they can get very bad as far as weather and waves go. I have a 19' aluminum StarCraft and I have to pick my days to go out in. The older I get the wave predictions above 3' and 10 knot winds tells me I am not going out in my tinny, no way. I would venture a guess you won't boat in 3 footers either. I believe there is no such thing as a boat being too small, there is however people that risk bad weather. I have seen 4 idiots and a child makes 5 about 10 miles off shore on a Great Lake in a 12 foot tinny, idiots. Are you a risk taker? In any pleasure boat you need to watch the Marine forecasts and pick your days too. Pick your days and don't join the idiot club. We live on Lake Erie and if I can hear wind blowing before dawn I go back to bed, if I hear waves on the beach I go back to bed. I have been fishing here for 40 some odd years and if San Fran bay is like unpredictable Lake Erie my answer is that boat is too small, unless calm seas that will stay calm all day.

You seem to be hung up on gunnel heights and grab rails. Before I guess as to why I will ask you why?

Welcome to iboats by the way.

joseytw

Recruit
Hello Old Ironworker, thanks for the reply!

On my friends boat, the gunnel height is high enough that I can tuck my knee under the edge for support while I am reeling a pole in the bay or hauling a crab pot outside the Golden Gate. With a shorter gunnel, I won't have that option. I plan on making smart decisions in regards to when to go fishing, but it is very common for the winds to pick up in the bay during the afternoon which makes for some decent chop at times and that is when the leverage of taller tunnels comes into play.

I dunno if I would say I am hung up on the height, it is more along the lines of I am familiar with the taller tunnels and I am a little leery of missing out on that.

As far as the rail goes, I am a big guy and since I haven`t been able to see what kind of craftsmanship they have first hand, I was curious if it is sturdy and attached in a functional way or if it is more of a cosmetic type thing.

I would love to get a 22 ft Starcraft Islander but my driveway is too short! I measured my driveway and created a scaled down diagram of it, then I drew a scaled down version of the 22 ft Islander. It was both sad and comical how many different angles I rotated the boat trying to find a way to make it fit inthe driveway. I finally accepted that the Islander was too long when I saw that I had the boat at a 45 degree angle taking up both parking spots and most of the sidewalk and was still trying to convince myself that this didn`t look too bad!

The neighbors and the city won't mind, right? Maybe if I ... put out cones on the sidewalk! Caution tape! NO, NO, NO!

*bangs head.repeatedly on desk*

Soooooo, I have been looking at the shorter (in every way) Starchief and was just wondering if it would work safely in the bay since I can fit it in my driveway. Was just hoping to be lucky enough to hear from other Starchief owners out there like yourself that have a comfortable understanding of their boat and how it handles.

Last edited:

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
SF Bay can be a dangerous place for a novice boater in any boat. The winds come up almost every afternoon and the bay turns into a maelstrom. One time coming back from salmon fishing outside the Golden Gate the wind started howling when we entered the bay. We were in a 28’ Trophy. It was so bad we did not think we would make it back to dock. You can go out in the bay on calm days safely in an 18.5’ boat but once you notice the wind starting head for home. It can happen quickly too. I’ve seen it go from calm to howling in under an hour. Caution is the key.
The water in the bay is darn cold. If you end up in it survival time is short.
I dont don’t know anything about that particular boat but I do know that you want to be off the water when it starts getting rough.
My concern in that it is a darn old boat and I don’t know what shape it’s in. I don’t know if it’s riveted or welded. If it’s a riveted alum boat I’d stay away from it for bay use. If it doesn’t leak now then it will at some time.
The one thing you definitely want is a dependable motor out there. If the motor is as old as the boat I would never venture out in the bay with a 50 year old motor. Even if the motor is newer you still want to make sure it is in good shape and dependable. I would want to see last couple years of maintenance and repair records.
Finally when you go out in the bay a couple safety suggestions. Make sure you have quality pfd and wear them. Have a cell phone in a waterproof bag or case. You should also have a vhf radio. The coast guard monitors the emergency channel and will be there quick if needed. Finally I’d consider getting a kicker motor. You can use it for trolling but most important it’s a back up to get you safety home if your main motor fails.
I’ll say lastly. I don’t think a 52 year old boat is a good starter boat for a newbie. Unless this boat has been refurbished by someone you are probably looking at putting in lots of hours in labor and a whole lot of money. Low priced old boats generally end up costing thousands more than what you paid.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Is the Chief an IO or OB? The mid to early SC boats had a rounded bottom whereas the late 60's forward have a more rough water friendly V hull that has a good degree of dead rise all the way back to the stern.

It would be a darn good fishing boat as I have one and I know guys that have the 18'rs who take them out in the great lakes. Although as said you have to know your limitations, such as boating experience and the boats abilities or short comings.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I have to tell you the last thing I would think of in a boat is the gunnel height. But thinking about that it is important for fishing. My gunnel height is perfect for me, 5'11" and use it as you do. If you are holding the grab rails who's holding the rod?

From the post above you could insert Lake Erie for San Francisco Bay and the description would be perfect. We go out very early and make sure we are back before early afternoon at the latest. In 6 hours it can look like a different body of water. And I agree 110% a boat that old is not a starter boat. No way, no how.