Dual steering cable box

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dual steering cable box on 1999 (quick connect). While turning to right steering wheel keeps spinning. Is steering box shot, are is there kind of keeper key or something that could have broken?

alldodge

Staff member
What kind of steering do you have, cable or hydraulic? Post a pic so we can see what your discussing

alldodge

Staff member
That kind uses a center gear and the cable has a spiral wound gear around the core. My guess is the cable(s) are stripped but to make sure, need to remove the helm and pull the cables out. If the wheel turns more then one full turn without issue then it would be the cable, if it doesn't then may be the gear

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
When you turn the wheel right, the cable pulls the motor to the right. If she don't pull, expect a broken cable.

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pulled the cables and they are good, so I did the big unmentionable and took the gear box apart. And found main gear broken badly. Guess it's time to order new dual cable control box. Any suggetions?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A dual cable steering box is generally used on high performance, high HP applications. My 150HP motor steers quite easily with a single cable rotary system. I would recommend a no feedback system.

alldodge

Staff member
Look up seastar and agree with Chris. If you have a large motor you may need the dual, but would also recommend replacing the whole system, cables and helm