Illinois boat question.

78twainer

Cadet
I just bought a boat from a private seller. He has illinois state stickers with 19 on them. Do I need to still register my boat this year? Or will that suffice for the next yr. Or 2?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
yes you need to put it in your name, if you wait you may not be able to

tpenfield

Staff member
Check with your state, but they are pretty much the same in that a new owner has to register the boat in their name. Think of it as the sale of the boat voids the prior registration.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Illinois law states within 15 days of purchase a application to the DNR is to be filed. don't forget the rut 75 tax form for more information go to ildnr.gov and click on watercraft registration. you can print the application forms there. I mail them or you can go to a currency exchange.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't know about Illinois, but in some states the seller also has to notify the state when a boat is sold. This protects the seller from a buyer not completing the transfer and does something which would cause the registration numbers being traced back to the seller - Usually by people you don't want knocking on your door.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
IL will make you title the boat in your name.

Then you need to register it for use. (you may or may not be able to transfer the current already paid registration into your name.)

You also need a trailer title to transfer ownership of the trailer into your name, and register it with license plates in your name.

I hope for your sake, that the seller provided you with the 2 titles.

Brandon5778

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes I have titles for both

Phew. You have nothing to worry about then. Is there any chance that you are near Springfield? I just drove to the IDNR office in Springfield and had them walk me through it and it was very easy. You will need to bring your title and bill of sale, and your checkbook.

You will have to pay taxes on your boat (It is 6.25% I believe), for this make sure you bring a check because the payment must be mailed to the Department of Revenue and they do not accept cash or credit card. I had to go and get a certified check at a quick 'n easy because I didn't know about that. You will also have to switch the title to your name and they should be able to have the registration switched to your name as well.

Me and the guy I bought my boat off left the date blank on my bill of sale until I was ready to have it all done because of the 15 day thing.