how come new boats don't come with Hydraulic steering automatically?

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
how come new boats don't come with Hydraulic steering automatically? I visited Basspro shop recently and checked out their new boats on the lot for their hydraulic steering system. I noticed most bass boats come with cable steering as the standard equipment instead of the hydraulic steering. They cost from $10K to $20K and without a hydraulic steering? Wow. So, I am really not impressed with the new boats after I installed the Baystar Hydraulic system on my 44 years old classic Wellcraft airlslot 165 sport boat and 1982 Johnson 90 hp (34 years old motor) - LOL

​Most center console boats with 150 hp do come with hydraulic steering automatically.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
My guess would be that it is simply more expensive and manufacturers are trying to cut costs. Relatively speaking 10-20k is inexpensive for a boat so they will have less upscale features.

oldjeep

Admiral
Why would you need it? Never been in an I/O or inboard boat where I felt that it steered hard enough that I wanted power steering, just one more thing to break.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A $10,000 boat would become a $11,000 or $11,500 boat or maybe more.

roffey

Commander
Why would you need it? Never been in an I/O or inboard boat where I felt that it steered hard enough that I wanted power steering, just one more thing to break.

Seriously? I suspect if I did not have power steering my boat it would be extremely difficult to steer if not impossible when WOT. The torque steer would take control, would it not? I've looked at your web page and do realize you have way more mechanical ability than I so this is a serious question.

oldjeep

Admiral
Seriously? I suspect if I did not have power steering my boat it would be extremely difficult to steer if not impossible when WOT. The torque steer would take control, would it not? I've looked at your web page and do realize you have way more mechanical ability than I so this is a serious question.

Almost no small runabouts have power steering. If your stingray has it that is really weird. Never owned an I/O that had it and neither does my current 350HP inboard - not even an option to get it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would hate not having it on my 7.4L engine. On an old Bayliner 27' boat that had a 5.7L, it was a bear to steer.

Even some 3.0s have it unless it's in a lower end boat like a Bayliner.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I had a 24' cuddy with a 5.7 I/O. When trimmed properly it was easy to to steer. I trimmed out just enough so the steering released itself.... Although, it is my understanding a hull will track better with power steering when off plane at low speeds. Tends to wander much less.... But, the OP is talking O/Bs.....

jkust

Rear Admiral
Almost no small runabouts have power steering. If your stingray has it that is really weird. Never owned an I/O that had it and neither does my current 350HP inboard - not even an option to get it.

Power steering is standard on all of the modern Mercruiser I/O's except the 3.0 liter 4 cylinder. My 350 has it and so did my 4.3.

oldjeep

Admiral
Power steering is standard on all of the modern Mercruiser I/O's except the 3.0 liter 4 cylinder. My 350 has it and so did my 4.3.

Hmm. I've owned 2 3.0L 19ft boats and my inlaws had 3 different 18-19ft I/O's with 4.3 or 5.7's and not a one of them had power steering. They were all used for skiing and even my wife could keyhole turn them at 32MPH with one finger.

In any event, I missed that the guy was talking about outboards.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Hmm. I've owned 2 3.0L 19ft boats and my inlaws had 3 different 18-19ft I/O's with 4.3 or 5.7's and not a one of them had power steering. They were all used for skiing and even my wife could keyhole turn them at 32MPH with one finger.

In any event, I missed that the guy was talking about outboards.

Were they from the 2000's (the 4.3 and 5.7)?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Cost prohibitive for manufacturers to put them on a new boat. Most boats that are a hand full to steer are in need of a new steering system. I needed 2 hands to steer my 19 foot StarCraft with a 115 until I changed the cable, now I can steer with 1 finger.

You aren't getting much of a Bass boat for 10 to 20 grand. I would stay away from a new Tracker, actually run away. They are terribly built now.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
guys, lets make sure we are talking about the correct apples here.

the hydraulic steering the OP is referring to is a orbitrol and actuator system with two hydraulic hoses that connect to the outboard. the cost on these is $600-$1500 not including the labor. with the 3 hours of labor to route the lines, fill the system, bleed the system, etc, and the installed cost is about $1200-$2100 for the OEM. this would equate to about $2500 - $5000 increase in the cost of the boat

the standard cable helm steering is $90-$130 and is generally all that is needed for 99 % of the outboard powered boats. Installed cost with the 1/4 hour of labor is between $125 and $175, which equates to about $250-$350 worth the cost of the boat

I/O's generally have a cable helm going to a hydraulic assist ram except the 3.0 liter

I also agree, new boats in the $10-$20k range are bottom feeder boats and the cost would not justify a hydraulic helm.

Hydraulic steering on outboards generally comes standard on twins or higher, and 200hp motors and higher.

Back to ib18 's question. the reason its not added to base model boats is the same reason a toyota tercel doesnt get a convertible roof, chrome wheels, leather interior and a nav package. price point boats are for entry level buyers, and they still need to make a profit

jkust

Rear Admiral
Would have been late 90's to early 2000's before they switched to Malibus

Never steered a non PS I/O...given there aren't wheels on the ground making steering more difficult, I guess I can't really think of what they would feel like. Have steered Outboards with no PS but they were easy as pie at any speed.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Scott great reply above. a fishing pal went from rack and pinion on his 90 horse to hydraulic when he needed to change the old cable. After spending $1000.00 and a real pain to change it out he admits he doesn't see any real difference that would justify the expense. A new $100.00 cable was all he really needed.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Scott great reply above. a fishing pal went from rack and pinion on his 90 horse to hydraulic when he needed to change the old cable. After spending $1000.00 and a real pain to change it out he admits he doesn't see any real difference that would justify the expense. A new $100.00 cable was all he really needed.

and that is all the OP would have needed as well.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Seriously? I suspect if I did not have power steering my boat it would be extremely difficult to steer if not impossible when WOT. The torque steer would take control, would it not?
No problem steering a #5K, 200 HP powered outboard boat with cable. Properly trimmed, I can walk away from my helm at wide open. The only reason I changed over to hydraulic was to install an auto-pilot

Old Ironmaker

Captain
A related question please. There is Hydraulic, Hydraulic assist, rack and pinion, what is the other steering system called, maybe more than 4 for pleasure craft? I'm having an Old Timer moment. The system is used for centre councils where racks are too long.