Tampa Bay Area, first run offshore!

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tampa Bay Area, first run offshore!

Were you using circle hooks???

jere1972

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had bought some at the bait shop along with my bait just prior to setting out , store clerk said that was the law now???? learn something new everyday!!!!!, package had 6 all but 1 snapped in half, so well.......... all I had were J's left in the correct size!!!!! :)

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes they are the law now and you will get stopped at the ramp. You also have to have a fish (deflator) I don't know what the correct name is but when you are deep you are supposed to punch a hole in their bladder so they can get back down. I don't make the rules just trying to save you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

agree on the laws with circle hooks, fish deflator Also found it happy to have a "law stick"

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Linky no workee....can't see your pics!!

We have been having some great trips up here too. The fish are all moving closer in and the catch rates are awesome!! we put 8 big gags on board just before the season closed and put over 150 fish in the boat that day!

So, there are three things now mandatory for bottom fishing the GOM.....

Must use circle hooks as mentioned. Must use a deflator device as mentioned. And, they want you to have a de-hooker on board as well. Not having those three and targeting bottom fish in the GOM can get you a fine. Here is a link...hopefully mine works!!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...-VlKno9vIz1WOKlow&sig2=o4iYlkVIom07D0et9oPWaQ