How do i catch that redfish?

Sharkfighter

Cadet
Re: How do i catch that redfish?

Caught the one in the pic attached on cut squid on a bottom fishing rig and it was 26 inches which is over our slot size in GA of 14-23 TL

Doesnt matter cause was fishing a wreck about 11 NM off shore and Fed regulations prohibt keeping ANY over 3 mi from coast.

I caught a 16 in black drum which we kept and a short Red Snapper at 14 in which we didnt and a TON of Black sea bass, grunts porgies, ruby red lips, spot and such but only one keeper BSB at 12 inches.

Still was a good day on the water

Rob

Attachments

• P4220023 (Large).JPG
    P4220023 (Large).JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 0

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sharkfighter.....

Sounds like a GREAT day!!!!

And, you're right, any day on the water is a good day.......lol

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've caught them on everything, gold spoons, finger mullet, shrimp, gulp crab....they eat almost anything. When I was a kid we used to catch them commercially in seine nets, I'm glad for the gill net bans, that saved sportsman fishing.

RCNO

Seaman Apprentice

Down in La., we have a limit of five over 16", with only 1 being over 27". I dont keep anything over 24" as it just isnt as good as the smaller fish.
Try cooking it as a court bullion(sounds like coo-be-yawn), leave the scales and skin on and bar-b-que it wrapped in aluminum foil, or if you prefer to fry it, cut up the slabs into smaller peices. Dave
BTW, the reds are running big time here, Im going out tomorrow with the wife and kids. Here are a few pics from last summer:
My wife-
fish002-1.jpg

My BIL, My son, and Im the skinny fella on the left-
fish002.jpg

GeoRXT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Down in La., we have a limit of five over 16", with only 1 being over 27". I dont keep anything over 24" as it just isnt as good as the smaller fish.
Try cooking it as a court bullion(sounds like coo-be-yawn), leave the scales and skin on and bar-b-que it wrapped in aluminum foil, or if you prefer to fry it, cut up the slabs into smaller peices. Dave
BTW, the reds are running big time here, Im going out tomorrow with the wife and kids. Here are a few pics from last summer:
My wife-
fish002-1.jpg

My BIL, My son, and Im the skinny fella on the left-
fish002.jpg
Nice!

I know how to catch em with lures but how do i set up the rig with live bait?
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 I have a small flat right outside some of my creeks near my house im hoping that will be good

get some croaker. theyre harder to keep alive than minnows but big reds and big specks love them! 34" red under the grand island bridge on a falling tide.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Reds are agressive predators and will hit most anything that they perceive as food. I've caught them on corks, while bottom fishing with a carolina rig, on topwater plugs and with spinner baits. When fishing live bait, I tend to use shrimp.

The trick is to present whatever bait you are using so that they "see" them. Sometimes that means placing a live or dead bait in the middle of feeding reds, and sometimes it means casting across the nose of a fish and retrieving it across its face.

I agree with the thought that large reds are not very good for eating. I much prefer the smaller fish, generally the ones that are 16" to 20".

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Here's a couple Reds that were caught last year in Lousiana waters about 70 miles south of New Orleans. We were fishing a tournament and were looking for Reds over the 38 lb mark. The fish in the first pic was weighed and released. The fish in the second pic took home 1500 dollars and a trophy. :p

DSC01923.jpg

DSC01928.jpg

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

One more thing that just occurred to me - if you use live shrimp on a hook, don't run the hook shaft down the tail from front to back, with the loop and barb coming out the bottom. While that may seem like a good thing to do, because it hides the hook, the shrimp can't flip its tail with a "steel spine."

I put my hook through the tail crosswise, at about the midpoint. That allows the shrimp to move and appear to be free. I'm not sure how much vibration in the water a redfish can sense, but I guess I'll go with the theory that the more movement made by the bait, the better.

88BLiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great pictures, boy I can not wait until my boat is done. I live about 15 miles from Mosquito Lagoon and Indian River Lagoon on the east coast of Florida. There is some great red fishing here.

paulo239

Recruit

The popping cork is about 4" lonh conical shape like a red buoy. The top is concave, so when "jerked" it makes a popping sound. They're anywhere from 80 cents to 2 dollars each. some are weighted, etc.

DocJones

Recruit

I got a new boat, my Dad's old gear and I'm ready. Thanks for the great info, Y'all,
Doc