Buying a Reel-Need Help

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been placed in charge of selecting a new reel for the up-and-coming Father's Day. I am looking for a bait casting reel that has quality bearings, one-piece aluminum body, magnetic brake and brass gears. I have been looking at the Lew's ssg1h, but it is just a few dollars out of budget at $90. Any experts here that could suggest something comparable while only a bit more budget friendly? We get what we pay for, I realize. Thanks.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Been a while since I've purchased any reels, but have you thought used? Check out either pawn shops or EBay and look for more expensive reels that if new would certainly be out of your price range, but being used, you can buy and use for a long long time. Quality reels do have replacement parts available and even a well used reel could be made like new again... JMHO! :noidea:

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
GM thanks for the suggestions. That is my usual MO, but the timeline precludes. Hoping to find maybe a few other /make/model reels with the same features for a few dollars less. I don't care a lot about buying name brand, but would like to buy a decent reel this time.

Great thread on your 40HP. I have a '75 40hp Evinrude.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Quality reels do have replacement parts available and even a well used reel could be made like new again... JMHO! :noidea:
not some much anymore. Most of the big names have 6-7 year support window anymore. Even companies like Penn who up until a short time ago still supported your grandfathers reels, are slowing phasing out parts for older reels

Can't help you with reel selection in your price range except to say no baitcaster can be better than a cheap one. 😉

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
GM thanks for the suggestions. That is my usual MO, but the timeline precludes. Hoping to find maybe a few other /make/model reels with the same features for a few dollars less. I don't care a lot about buying name brand, but would like to buy a decent reel this time.

Great thread on your 40HP. I have a '75 40hp Evinrude.

Ha Sunken Ship, thanks for the kind words on my '76 40HP Johnson Engine rebuild project. Post your engine for us to see. I am presently finishing up the actual boat from that purchase and the trailer is also finished (can see it in the link listed below as well).

On the reel issue, I have used a lot of different bait-cast reels and I can tell you the all seem to be great offerings these days. So pick most any model and enjoy. And remember, whatever model you chose, others will be available shortly making that old-news. Meaning even if you pick state-of-the-art now, new ones will surface within less then a year and be available after you educated yourself to the likes and dislikes of the one you purchased. In short, you can't really buy a bad reel these days... within reason! JMHO!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
And remember, whatever model you chose, others will be available shortly making that old-news. Meaning even if you pick state-of-the-art now, new ones will surface within less then a year and be available after you educated yourself to the likes and dislikes of the one you purchased

I have to disagree on the old/ news stuff. There has been no new developments in bait casting technology in over 20 years. If anything, they've taken a steps backwards. Just fancy repackaging of old technology using lighter, "space age" materials, i.e. plastic.

Go to a casting competition and look what reels they are using. Most will be casting reels with a very old, familiar name on the side plate with model names like, Sport Rocket-MK2, Chrome Rocket, Morrum, Ultra Mag, Mag Elite, Blue Yonder, etc. Why, because of their simplistic, no thrills design that a couple simple modifications would turn them into a casting machines.

Now if you want a WIFI connection on your reel......lol

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I like Abu Garcia's Revo series. Not sure if the make one in the OPs budget. I have a Toro Winch for muskies that goes for just under $300, I believe. That's what I wanted for my 50th b-day. Soooo, the wife bought it... :) What species will you be chasing?

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
A little late to this but for me I have a Ryobi AD5000V that I purchased new way back about 1982 and paid just over $100.00 for it then. Still works as good or better than the Pflueger Summit that I bought a couple years ago and paid over $130.00 for.
For less than $90.00 I think the best deal around is the Bass Pro Shop Extreme.

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
I ended up buying a Daiwa LEXA100HL for $70. Has been doing great so far.

GM, here are some pics of my motor:
000_0005.JPG
000_0008.JPG

Last edited: