Non bass boat in bass tournament?

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Non bass boat in bass tournament?

Trying the competitive fishing is up to you, but please don't think the boat is what counts, it isn't, it's the fisherman. Just don't take your fun fishing and ruin it by making it so competitive, that it's no longer is fun. More than a few friends of mine get so wrapped up in "winning" that they are no fun to fish with. It would be sad if something as cool as fishing was no longer fun. But use what ya got, and go have fun, anyone that gives you a bad look or laughs, is no one you need to worry about anyways.

BUDDY123

Seaman

One thing to remember, you will need a good livewell because fish have to be alive and released. Do what I do, pinch the barbs and fish for the fun of it, to many "FREEZER FILLERS" out their which is ok for salt water, but put the bass back in the lake for the next guy.

foodfisher

Captain

Two weeks of replies, so whatcha gonna do younggun?

I'll agree with everybody here. I fish Lake Michigan in an old boat that some of my friends wouldn't even think about going out in. It's not pretty, but it float and runs. I can run 18 lines with no problems, and I catch just as many fish as the guys in their $80,000 "fishing" boats. I have friends that charter, I have cought more than them on plenty of occasions. My ski boat is old and could use some paint as well, but guess what. It runs and pulls a tube or skier just fine. I do my inland lake fishing out of my grandpa's old 16' aluminum boat that my dad cut apart to make his version of a fishing boat. I did just get a bass boat given to me, but I won't have that water ready til next year. I'll have less than $2,000 invested in all the boats combined. I know other boaters may think I'm in crap they would never be seen in. I prefer to think about the guy on the dock that would be happy to have what I have.

younggun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the replies and about the livewell question, yes the boat does have a working livewell. I think I'm going to try one or 2 just to see how I like it and go from there. Again thanks for all the replies!

steelyonfly

Seaman Apprentice

Great! Show your knowledge and skills. That's what will catch fish. Others competitors will notice and want to compete with you. Come back and let us know how you did.

foodfisher

Captain

Every journey begins with the first step. Enjoy and good luck.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I get a kick out of the tournament threads. Typically lots of sour grapes and not much useful information.
:rolleyes:
As a tournament angler in three different disciplines, I can tell you that like most competitive sports, it takes a combination of perseverance, knowledge, skill and equipment to be successful.

By far, the most important attribute is perseverance and the drive to win. You will win some with knowledge. You will win some with the right equipment and you will win some with your skills but?. you will not win a single tournament without the desire and perseverance to win. There is nothing fun about competitive fishing unless you win. ;)

Depending the on the tournament, your boat could put you at a disadvantage but look at it as a learning experience. I missed placing in my first tournament because it got rough and I did not leave myself enough time to make it to weigh in on time. I quickly learned that fishing with an Ugly Stik requires twice as many Advil as fishing with a custom rod.

Good luck

saumon

Lieutenant

I think I'm going to try one or 2 just to see how I like it and go from there.

You seems to be really mature for 17 years old. Trying it to see if you like it is definately is the best approach.

I have absolutely nothing against competitive fishing but, being a personnal choice, it's not for me, really. I see it as the exact opposite of what I like into fishing: relaxing, taking my time, enjoying the nature. The same goes for professionnal fishing (guiding): I like to go out when I want, with who I want and where I want. I've helped a friend a few times in the past who's been overbooked with his musky guide service so he need a second boat. Althought my "customers" did good, I told my friend to forget it in the future. The pressure there's to catch fishes make it, literally, a job, which is quite the opposite of my idea of fishing...