Esox Anglers Good Day

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys! I just got back from about a 2 hour trip. I was trout fishing in the stream next to some quarries. Well the Northeast has been pounded with rain so I decided to head over to the lakes from the quarries. Within the first five casts with my Blue Fox Vibrax I had this 21"er hop on my line. I fought the pickerel for a few minutes on extremely light trout tackle. :) Fun times! Caught 2 saw 1 more. I'll be back to fish for him! :D

pickerelza7.jpg

gonfishn

Commander
Re: Esox Anglers Good Day

Ah ...What a cute little guy. Another couple years and a few more lbs. it would have given ya a better fight. Nice gator though.

CATransplant

Admiral

That little feller'd make pretty good muskie bait up here in Minnesnowta. :D

Seriously, though, I really enjoy catching little northern pike on an ultralight rig. Lots of the lakes around here have tons of northerns about the size of that one. They're a blast on 4 lb. test and a 5 1/2 foot spinning rod.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

It's really the first fish I had to fight this year for fear that it might break my line. I've caught quite a few fish this year, but none to really give me good shot. This one had me for a few minutes. I want to battle some landlocked stripers or some massive muskies or pike. This is my first year with a boat so I'll be able to go more places and catch bigger fish.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Ok thanks. Thats the smallest pickerel i have seen caught. I have seen smaller but not caught on a pole. Thats a prette cool fish being as small as it is and all. Usually those pickerel's just hit everything if you find em. They hit the bait to kill it not to eat it. Thats why they have such a vicious hit like they do. You should get a pik that is a couple of years old those things are deadly to reel in on light tackle and will bite you! I got bit by one before. It didnt hurt that bad til the next day. It pussed and was yellow and i had to go to the emergency room. Those teeth are wild on those things. They like those in-line spinner baits. They usually mess up the blades on them though so you can catch only about 5-6 of them on a inline spinner before you have to change it out cause its bent up. Thats a nice little guy. I hope you put him back into the water! He needs 10 more inches around here to even be a keeper.

FLATHEAD

Commander

Around here we call those chain pickerel "Slime Rockets" I know a few guys that target those thing specifically.

Curious if you kept it. If you did are you going to attempt to eat it?

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

It was a blast to catch. That is about as big as they get in PA. A trophy pickerel I read is about 24" I froze him before reading they are notorious for being extremely boney. I then fed the neighborhood felines.

rndn

Commander

What a waste of a fish to feed it to the felines. With a good filet knife you can get some decent meat off of the fish. I would not keep one but if I had killed one I most certainly would have eaten it.