'Snakehead' Found in Wis.'s Rock River

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer
JANESVILLE, Wis. - A carnivorous alien fish known for its voracious appetite and ability to wriggle short distances on land has been found in southern Wisconsin's Rock River. <br /><br />The discovery of the 2-foot-long giant snakehead by the state Department of Natural Resources marks the first time the species, a native of Asia, has been found in Wisconsin waters, where officials said it may not survive the winter cold. <br /><br />"This was a real wake-up call," said Mike Staggs, director of fisheries at the DNR. <br /><br />The giant snakehead can grow to more than three feet in length, and fish managers say that with no natural predator, it could change the local fish population and introduce new diseases. <br /><br />A year ago, wildlife officials in Maryland killed six adult and more than 1,000 juvenile northern snakehead, a close relative to the giant snakehead, found in a pond. <br /><br />The DNR found the giant snakehead during a routine fish survey of the Rock River Sept. 4.<br /><br /> The DNR said an employee misidentified the fish as a native bowfin. It was photographed and released before the DNR later concluded it was a snakehead. <br /><br />Two crews were sent back to the river last Thursday and three more crews went back Tuesday to look for evidence of snakeheads but found none, Staggs said. <br /><br />Staggs said the results indicate the fish does not appear to be widespread in the river, and the individual snakehead likely was released by a hobbyist after outgrowing an aquarium. <br /><br />Releasing aquarium fish into the wild in Wisconsin is illegal. <br /><br />It's unlikely the giant snakehead could survive the cold water of a Wisconsin winter, Staggs said. <br /><br /> :mad:

TexSkeeter150

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 'Snakehead' Found in Wis.'s Rock River

Yuck!!!!! <br />
snakeheadgiant22inhead.jpg

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Dont ya just love the competency in how this is handeled.
It's unlikely the giant snakehead could survive the cold water of a Wisconsin winter, Staggs said.
This coming from the same man whos department first identified it as a bowfin. Sounds as if he is all of a sudden an expert on them. Now I realize wisconsin is colder then maryland but by how much? They can apperantly survive and reproduce there. This kind of Blowoff of a potentially devistating event just burns me up.<br /><br /> :confused: :mad: Why should it bother him, it may correct itself. And if nott we can do a complete killoff later. Grrr!!!

auslez

Cadet

As you say Neumanns........incompetent and irresponsible statements like that are prevalent world wide. We get it ALL the time from our fisheries, the influx of alien species into our native waterways is ongoing and treated with about the same disdain. Still as your Mr Staggs basically said "if we can't see it, well it must NOT be there"....garbage!!!!!

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

I used to have a couple of them snakeheads in a fishtank years ago, They were nasty critters that ate anything that fit in their mouths and tried to eat stuff that didnt. People are just plain stupid to put fish from their tanks into the rivers or lakes. They have to know that what there doing is potentially disasterous on the eco-system.

walleyehed

Admiral

Unfortunatly, I doubt these people have any idea of the problems they are creating......We had to inspect 60-70 some boats before the central division bass tourney held at CedarBluff, KS., and you would be surprised at how many Bass boats still had water in the livewells from S.E. states.....we were looking for Zebra mussles of course, but still..<br /> All it takes is 1 or 2......... :mad:

Bowfin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

MMMMM, snakehead. I hear they are good eat'n. Supposidly they came from the oriental fishmarkets. If I caught it, I believe i'd have to try it.

gonfishn

Commander

Hmmmm..Them are itty bitty teeth compared to the warriors teeth..Bring em on, the Muskies should luv em...

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

The "frankenfish" was in the news for weeks here in Maryland. They found it in a pond within a couple hundred feet of the Potomac River. The DNR here was worried about it getting loose since it can apparently crawl for a good distance when it wants to. They ended up netting as many fish as they could then they poisoned the whole pond. It was quite a production. No more news is good news.

FLATHEAD

Commander

mikeandronda, Just a dumb question,, Where did you get those fish that you had in the tank? I would think that as dangerous as they are to local fisheries that they would be illegal to buy or possess???