Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
  • Dear Community Members,

Updated 9/29/20 - Upgrades have been pushed until 10/7/20

Over the last two years, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability, performance, and security. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface and site performance have revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software our site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video, and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this user experience to all members. We will be updating to a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well and loads faster on all devices while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?
    When will this be happening? The plan is to put our current forums into maintenance mode (off line) at around 9am MST on 10/7/2020! The whole transition should take 30-36 hours. We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Management

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mooching/downrigging reels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a nice looking reel there let us know how it works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by 82rude View Post
      Its a matching diawa.I caught a 35 lb king with that rig out off the west coast.I called it the silver bullet.Big fight with lots of line peeling.I bought the combo in Victoria B.C..I looked at the rod and it says its a wilderness Its 8 years old now .If I was to buy another rod it would most likely be a Ugly Stik .I have either a ultra light or lite for pike,bass,and walleye which I love.
      I don't know about an ultra-lite for those species. In fact I can't use an ultra-lite for Jumbo Perch here on Erie with 10" to 12" as an average. We live right on the shoreline and have used an ultra-lite rod and reel for fun but 9 out of 10 times after fighting the fish usually Smallies, they can't be revived and I don't like to kill fish. It was also in Victoria on a trip to visit a pal from Hamilton I was introduced to Mooching reels. I also bought a Daiwa which was the exact reel I used on a few Salmon trips while there. I don't know the model number, it is 1 of the 50 some odd reels I own. I know a few, a very few guys that have them here in Ontario. Those guys are serious fishermen. They never have caught on here. Don't quote me on that because because I don't get out much these days. 82rude you might know better than I. I have used it on down rigging rods here on Erie hunting for massive Walleye. ( I better supply a foto but I can't remember how, I'll try latter) I do see a few for sale at my local well stocked Mom and Pop Bait and Tackle shop. Bill's Bait om Upper James St. Hamilton Ontario. Support your local business'.
      Last edited by Old Ironmaker; September 11th, 2020, 01:16 PM.
      Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Originally posted by dingbat View Post
        I could never figure out the mooching/downrigging rod and reel thing.

I’m thinking glorified fly rod and reel. Fun to a point, but not the most efficient tackle when push comes to shove.

What is the advantage over something like a small spinner (3xxx) or conventional reel on 6’-6”, #12-20, fast action, mag taper blank?
        The major difference is using the proper reel for the job is when you have a personal best 12 pound Walleye or a 50" Musky on the end of your line you are confident that the reel isn't going to jamb, skip and rip gears, all sorts of things that will lose those fish including catching fire. The proper tool for the job. I can't see where you are coming from when you say "not the most efficient tackle when push comes to shove." I couldn't disagree more. We aren't fishing for Blue Gills up here on the Great Lakes in Canada.
        Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Ironmaker View Post

The major difference is using the proper reel for the job is when you have a personal best 12 pound Walleye or a 50" Musky on the end of your line you are confident that the reel isn't going to jamb, skip and rip gears, all sorts of things that will lose those fish including catching fire. The proper tool for the job. I can't see where you are coming from when you say "not the most efficient tackle when push comes to shove." I couldn't disagree more. We aren't fishing for Blue Gills up here on the Great Lakes in Canada.
          Not sure of what your point is.

My “not the most efficient” comment was related to the use of long rods and center arbor reels.

A fishing rod is a third order lever......the shorter the rod (distance between fulcrum and load) the greater the leverage afforded to the fisherman. Add a direct drive reel (no gear reduction) and you have a very inefficient means of applying pressurIng.

Your point about having confidence in your reel is spot on. Learned long ago that you get what you pay for.

Comment

Working...
          X