DD22 - Trolling Speed

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First of all commando57, :welcome: to iboats. Nice to have you aboard...

Okay your question is a wide open question. First it depends on what you are fishing for, where you are fishing, the type conditions, the depth the fish are located and even the lures you will be using. Yes that many variables would be needed to accurately provide any decent answer. The speed usually is determined as to how deep the fish are schooled and the water current and such things. So if you can provide a little more info as to the type of fish, the time of year, the conditions and even the type of lures and the weight of the lures and fishing line used, maybe others can chime in with some ideas. JMHO

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I usually fish about as slow as the motor will go, changing speed for conditions - wind, current etc. I have a 2 hp Johnson from 1978, I find it runs nice with the throttle handle between the S and the L on the word SLOW.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Like gm said it all depends on for what and where you are presenting bait and what you are fishing for. For Walleye here on Erie worm harnesses slow troll 1.5 to 2.5 MPH, plugs are trolled at 2.5 to 3.5 MPH and for Musky at least 5 MPH. But then there are days you need to go slower or faster, that might be confusing but that's fishing. It's all about W5, who, what, when, where, why?