Bow Trolling Motor Advise

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so here's the deal...my last fishing boat was a 16' Lund tiller. I sold that and got one just a bit longer and a bit wider. I got rid of the Minn Kota Powerdrive off of it because I like cable steer models much better. My last boat had a motor guide with a 45" shaft that I cudda swore was just long enough. The current Motor Guides switched the on/off and selective power switch around on the foot pedal. Therefore, I'm looking at the Minn Kotas. The Minn Kotas typically come in 42" shaft. 52" is available but with the mount they are GIANT. Does anyone out there run a 42" shaft minn Kota on their fishing boat?? I'm afraid in a chop it's just going to be a touch short. I understand there are rules of thumb in regards to trolling motor running depth but want to see what you alls opinion is. Thanks!

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah I have a 42" troller on the bow of my Lowe 1448. Works just fine and can be adjusted lower into the water if needed. But then again I don't fish in a 2' chop.
I think a 52" would just take up too much space.;

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I have the same style boat except in a Crestliner. I think the shorter one will pop out of the water in anything but a slight walleye chop. I don't remember what I have and the boat is in storage. My dad has the shorter bow mount(I know mine is longer than his) and the prop would pop in and out of the water. Was irritating..... jmo

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the same style boat except in a Crestliner. I think the shorter one will pop out of the water in anything but a slight walleye chop. I don't remember what I have and the boat is in storage. My dad has the shorter bow mount(I know mine is longer than his) and the prop would pop in and out of the water. Was irritating..... jmo

Thanks you sir! Makes sense.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You can always adjust the longer one so the prop runs shallower if need be, but you can't make it run deeper with the shorter shaft... :)