Steering Cables Stuck in Yamaha 70 horse

Groundhog2

Cadet
I've seen several posts about the steering cable being stuck in the tilt tube. I have yet to find a foolproof method (or modification) that allows me to force grease into the chamber INSIDE the tilt tube where the steering plunger must slide. Afraid to try to dri Also, I have yet to find a blowup diagram of how that area is made and/or good photos showing how the parts look when disassembled. Any leads ? Diagrams? Photos ? BY THE WAY my advice has been that nearly all the "stuck cable" issues are inside the tilt tube and very few are really bad cables. Just got mine unstuck this weekend.

Groundhog2

Cadet
Sentence fragment above starting with "Afraid..." should say Afraid to try to drill and tap the tilt tube for putting in a grease fitting. Note that the two existing grease fittings on the engine tilt housing only grease the OUTSIDE of the tilt tube, not inside.

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I purchased years ago a replacement nut that had a o ring that ran along the cable end to keep water out and grease in, had a grease sert mounted in it also to pump grease inside.
Do not remember what the name of it was though

Capt Ken

Commander
It was called a Widget and it caused many problems thus they quit selling them. People were pumping too much grease into them and hydro locking the cables.