1999 Suzuki DT140 Lower Unit What did I do wrong?

james roach

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1999 Suzuki DT140 Lower Unit What did I do wrong?

Here is the final resolution. I purchased another lower unit in excellent condition from EBAY for the port engine and I had the starboard engine reshimmed by my local Suzuki dealer.

James R

Commander

Good deal. Sorry you lost one lower. Did you invest in a manual? Well worth the effort and you will learn a lot about your motors.

james roach

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have got a manual. The problem really was started when I used the exploded views from Brown's Point. The parts I threw away were in another view that I did not have. Anyway you live and learn. I now have 2 rebuilt lower units and the cracked one is going bye bye.

olsenk514

Seaman

Wow...sorry to dig up a 6 month old post, but it just saved my lower unit. I have a Suzuki DT115 and did the same thing as james roach. The bolts holding my water pump housing broke, so I had to remove the bearing housing, and it broke in half while getting it out. No biggie, ordered a new one and swapped them out...

Fortunately, I haven't taken it out yet, and just noticed this post....I did the same exact thing! The thrust washer and shim seem to "hide" in the old part, and they are not shown with the housing on the brownspoint site. The old part wasn't thrown out, and sure enough, they were still in there. Popped them out and reassembled the new housing...hopefully all is well now. Thanks iBoats forum! :)