Faint Constant Beep/Buzz

Bonz099

Cadet
Im pretty close to my wits end, I have a current issue with only 1 bank fire-ing in another post. Ive had the boat for only 2 months and i realized that my buzzer wasnt working, which from what im told is a necessity to have to diagnose issues. So i thought ide work form square one then trouble shoot my other issue some more. So I replace the buzzer with a 12v pizzo speaker from radio shack(2 wires on the ignition switch/relay), the old one was the diameter of a lime and all corroded. So I hook the new guy to the wires and there is a constant faint beep/buzz. Now since ive never had the buzzer working on this boat before i thought maybe that was the system telling me the keys were in the on position but it doesn't stop going once the motor is running. Now if I short the temp sensor on the one of the heads its very loud.

I was under the impression that the pizzo is only suppose to beep for like a second once the key is turned to the on position. Does this mean I have a weak short somewhere, or is this working correctly? Engine is a 97 Yamaha 130 SWS, boat is a Cobia 206 Deck Boat(97)

Bonz099

Cadet
Re: Faint Constant Beep/Buzz

Also, if this is an indicator that something else has failed, how would I able to locate it? Unplug one thing at a time untill the faint tone goes away?

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bonzo I have a Suzuki that did the same thing and it turned out to be the oil filter needing cleaned. What does the buzzard go to?

Bonz099

Cadet

Its the alarm buzzer, its just in a constant faint on. Could it be because of lack of water pump pressure? Does this engine have an alarm for that?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I do not think that the speaker from radio shack is a good replacement for the alarm buzzer.That is the most likly reason for the faint noise
I believe the different signals go to a CDI unit and then it activates the buzzer and puts the motor into safe mode. Your manual will give you a lot more info on that.

Bonz099

Cadet

I do not think that the speaker from radio shack is a good replacement for the alarm buzzer.That is the most likly reason for the faint noise
I believe the different signals go to a CDI unit and then it activates the buzzer and puts the motor into safe mode. Your manual will give you a lot more info on that.

i wish i had a manual, its a very long story about how i acquired this boat, could somone with a manual throw me a bone? I wold greatly appreciate it.

Anyone have a PDF of the Manual/Service book they would want to send me?

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bonzo, since my family owns a radio shack trust me if the speaker is the same voltage and ohms as the one you replaced it'll work just fine. It could be a short or low/high voltage going to the buzzard but I would difinetly find out one way or the other why it's going off. Good Luck.

Bonz099

Cadet

How coudl i find the short ther are soo many things to check, could i en theory unplug one thing at a time untill it stops?

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

As yam said you need to order a manual. You could unplug wires from sensors until it stops or do a continuity check.

Bonz099

Cadet

Well, im at a complete loss right now, I picked up a manual but there is nothing in it on how to test the CDI for my size motor (manual covers all for my year). My buzzer is still faintly on, but I cant figure out what the hell is goin on. The only time it goes away when i disconnect the CDI, but when i do that, nothing I do will trigger an alarm.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

why do you think yamaha did not use a pizzo alarm. cause it simply wont work.
go to yamaha buy the correct horn and continue.
yamaha,on a single engine application, does NOT have a self test feature at key on power.
at key on the yellow wire at the horn has 12v applied and the ground path is partially controled by the cdi and the oil control module and the temp switches. your seeing some partial ground and the pizzo horn is reacting.
buy the correct part and odds are high you will be on the right track.

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, Rodbolt is correct. If you replaced the buzzard with the exact same part it would have been fine no matter where you bought it. I didn't realize you replaced it with a pizzo as you stated in your original thread. My bad.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the piezoelectric device will work for some applications and merc and volvo have used it for years.
it doesnt work with most yamaha systems as a small leakage current will trigger an audible buzz even when everything is working correctly.

Bonz099

Cadet

Well Crap, that makes feel a little better now, but i still cant figure out why it its still only running on 2 cylinders, The pulsors check fine, and the stator is charging, im getting over 13v at idle, 12v when off. I mean isnt that all it needs to run on the other bank? So my last thouht is to replace the CDI, but i want to make sure thats the cause. Does anyone have a procedure for he specific CDI my 115 has?

Bonz099

Cadet

the piezoelectric device will work for some applications and merc and volvo have used it for years.
it doesnt work with most yamaha systems as a small leakage current will trigger an audible buzz even when everything is working correctly.

This post alone has been super helpful, thank you rodbolt, Ill order the part now.