suzuki dt65 timing problems

Can anyone help me with a timing issue. I bought a 87 dt65 not too long ago and apparently the flywheel nut was loose or getting there. I was trying to start the motor and heard a strange noise like the starter was hung up. I took the conver off the flywheel and turned it over again and say that the thing had jumped time. I put it back as close as I could but I think I need a degree or two more. It has a fine tuneing adjustment on the side to bring the idle up or down but I have it maxed out and I need a little more. I have the owners manual and a clymers (it's not the right year--it goes up to 84).

Ok to the point--is there any way for me to adjust the timing without loosening the flywheel again. I spent a good while with it and would like to find some way to adjust it w/o pulling the flywheel loose.

Thanks

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: suzuki dt65 timing problems

I believe there is moon key in there. Is it still look ok?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

all of the flywheels I have seen are locked into position on the shaft with a key, the nut just holds it down tight

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

with the bolt being loose check that key and see if it looks ok and not a sloppy fit. What method did you use to adjust the timing?

I think I figured it out. I had to refer to a smaller motor but the principal method is the same for adjusting the timing. I will keep you guys posted on the matter.

Thanks for the inquiries.

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Please do, this may help me out with my motor someday.

luisdeleon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes please i'm also trying to check timeing