140 HP Suzuki Problems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 140 HP Suzuki Problems?

I've got a 1994 suzuki 140hp, DT140TC. So here's my story, last run of the summer last year the motor was fine no problems at all. I take it out for the first trip this summer, and the motor has no power, won't get the boat up on plane. So I take it in to the shop and have them check it out, 2 weeks later they tell me that the crankshaft is bent, and that I need to buy a new motor because the one I have is now a 400lb. anchor. Now I find it hard to believe that sitting inside in storage over the winter that the crank just bent itself. The first time out this year I heard no weird noises like metal grinding or anything of that nature. Anyone have any ideas as to what may really be wrong with it? I really hate to break the bank and buy a new motor if this one is just fine and it's something stupid that "the boys" at the shop neglected to notice. Anytime I've ever heard or seen something with a bent crankshaft it wouldn't even start, let alone run... Any ideas???

Re: 140 HP Suzuki Problems?

tell the shop to get "bent"!

what were your winterization steps? did you stabilize the fuel and let it run through the carbs? you may have a gummed up fuel system and dirty carbs.

Comment

Usually I do put Sta-bil in the tank before it goes into storage, but I can't remember for sure if I did or not. I was thinking along the same lines, haven't had a chance to change the gas out for new stuff, but it sure doesn't smell bad.

Comment

when fuel sits in carbs untreated for a few months unused, it gums up and turns into varnish. gas doesn't smell 'bad' left untreated.
        ya probably have gummed up carbs and need to be cleaned/rebuilt.

untreated fuel sits in the float chamber #25 and gums up the main jet #21.
        you may get lucky and unscrew the drain bolt #16 and spray carb clean in there in an attempt to clean the jets, otherwise rebuild.

http://store.brownspoint.com/dt140/fig007-1408601.asp

Comment

So what I'm hearing is that it's probably carb problems and not a bent crankshaft? I was leaning that way myself but didn't want to tear into the carbs if there was nothing wrong with them.

Comment

based on the information in your post, hopefully it's a carb problem and not a crankshaft one.

Comment

Ok, so here's another question if say for some reason magically the crank was bent, would I be experiencing the same problems? Or am I crazy to think that if indeed it was a bent crank the problem would be more noticeable as in not starting at all, running very poorly even at low RPMS, etc.??

Comment

Wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion!Like I tell my ball player's."you can't put a price on sanity"Coach!

Comment

Working...
                X