225 yamaha on a 23' trophy...

Salmonator

Cadet
looking to buy. The owner says it probably burns 13 to 15 gallons per hour at cruise. Does this sound right to you guys? If so i'll be shopping for an inboard... Joe

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 225 yamaha on a 23' trophy...

Sounds close. What is your purpose for the boat, cruising, fishing? I used to run a 24' with an inboard volvo diesel out of Stuart, FL and I could get offshore, fish all day and only burn 15 gallons for the whole day. My buddies with the big makos and outboards would burn 50+ gallons fishing the same areas. But I was only making 16-17 knots underway. Since I fished alot, and the 20 fathom line was only 6 miles, I loved the economy. But when I moved to NC and could only get out a 4-5 of times a year and the gulfstream was 45 miles, I was underway more than I was trolling. I sold the boat, opting to restore an inherited (20'outboard) boat and spend the $$ to charter a couple of times a year. My point is, before you buy carefully consider how you are going to use the boat and get what fills the application. We are all throwing our money in the water, so the experience has to be worth it.<br /><br />Good luck