15hp yamaha

warrenp

Cadet
i have a 1995 15hp electric start yamaha that just quit the last time i took it out it was a little hard to start (it always started on the second or third pull). i never use a battery . anyway i shut the moter off and let it sit for about an hour and it it wouldnt start at all. i pulled both plugs and then pulled the rope and there is no spark to be seen. any ideas

pooh_bear

Recruit
Re: 15hp yamaha

Dear Warrenp,<br /><br />I presume your 15hp is a 4-stroke motor…. I have been trying to get a Yamaha electric start 15hp 2-stroke, but there are available only in Europe. If yours is a 2-stroke unit, I would be interested to know where you got yours.<br /><br />Firstly, I am a comparative novice but am trying to improve and hope I can be of help.<br /><br />You mentioned you check for sparks. Did you ground the spark plug screw casing to your outboard frame? The spark jumps from the electrode to the grounded frame and if you are testing with it sitting in the air, it would not spark.<br /><br />If you did ground it, then the next thing to do is to refer to the electrical wiring diagram that should be in your owners manual. It is easier to trace the fault or see actually what could be happening.<br /><br />Referring to my Clymer's manual which could be a little different to the wiring your unit, the actual ignition of the spark is a relatively simple circuit. Its either the charge coil, the pulsar coil, the CDI unit or your ignition coil. Check the terminals between these devices, then that there is no break in the cables between the devices… including the continuity from your ignition coil to your spark plugs. Don't ASSUME anything.<br /><br />To check the charge coil, the pulsar coil and the ignition coil, take an ohm meter (digital or analogue) and check for continuity across the terminals (after disconnecting any cables to those terminals). Any damage to the coil usually shows as a break in the continuity.<br /><br />From the wiring diagram, if you still find no problems, try starting again… you may have more secure terminals. If it doesn't produce a spark, then it is likely to be the only remaining device… your CDI.<br /><br />Let me know how this works out.<br /><br />With regards,<br />Edwin

warrenp

Cadet
Re: 15hp yamaha

Thanx for the reply i fix it by reconnecting the kill switch lanard (dumb ME )and i am new at this to. if you mix the oil and gas in a 2 stroke then i have one. it was bought as a BMT package in MD in 1995. and i am selling the BMT for $1500.