Boat dies when trimmed down

Bihnen

Recruit
So I got a 16.5 crest liner with a 2000 Yamaha outboard four stroke we took her to the lake and put her in the water I made a pass and picked the wife up from the dock (motor ran fine ) as soon as we ventured off the motor started to slow and die wouldn’t start again . I trimmed up out of the water and she started and ran fine put her down into the water and she died again a boat mechanic buddy said it’s a pinched wire but couldn’t find anything any suggestions? Also brand new battery and cables and new starter and relay also wrench tight on battery not finger tight I’m losing my mind please help

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Are you able to run the motor at home? Have you checked the fuel filters and lines? What was the condition of the primer bulb when the engine died?

Bihnen

Recruit
Fuel line not crimped or bending filter and prime ball seem great ran at home on muffs with no issue

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i would check spark plugs that might tell u something could be a crimped wire i dont think so .the motor will run with no load on it ie; out of water or on muffs i would check fuel filters and things like that to start with then do a cylinder drop test