New Multifunction Tiller to Old Outboard with 7 Pin Harness

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1988 Yamaha 30. It is a tiller but has most of the stuff already installed to be a remote motor. One of those things includes the remote 7 pin wiring harness. Right now the wiring harness goes to a electrical junction box mounted on the transom which houses the key and emergency kill. I am acquiring the parts to install a current model big tiller. I have the tiller and will next be ordering the tiller fitting kit which I believe will provide me with the correct length cables but will also come with the intermediate wiring harness which is a 10 pin. I believe that the install will be pretty straightforward mechanically but looking ahead I need to figure out the best and most affordable way to make the harness connection.

Yamaha offers a 7 pin to 10 pin adapter which would be the easiest but it also is about $75+.

I could cut the wires at the square plug in the tiller and splice them with my harness that currently runs to my key and kill switch. That would only cost me some butt or bullet connectors but would make it a hassle to transfer the tiller to a newer model outboard in the future.

All that said, I guess my questions include:
- Is the square plug that is on the tiller side of the harness that comes with the fitting kit something I can buy? If so, I could wire my current key switch harness to it and save the new harness for the future or possible sell to offset some costs of the tiller upgrade.
- Are the 7 pin to 10 pin adapters any cheaper or is there possibly a place that sells just the connectors so I could attempt to make my own? I assume it is a Yamaha specific connector but you never know when there are others that will fit for pennies on the dollar.

I know this is a pretty specific issue and probably won't get much traffic but if anyone has any helpful ideas I'm all ears. My main thing here is to do a clean installation while also not spending too much more and keeping the tiller connections free to potentially be mounted on a newer outboard (possibly new model F25) in the future.

Attachments

• photo324716.jpg
    photo324716.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0
  • photo324717.jpg
    photo324717.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 0

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
I contacted a parts site yesterday and they told me that the square connector is not sold separately. Trying to avoid the cost of the 7 to 10 pin adapter still so I will have to decide how to proceed on that.

Last night I installed the part too reverse the throttle gear making the tiller now pull the throttle cable when the throttle is opened up via the twist grip. Doing so forced me to unbolt the warning buzzer so I will need to find a space to relocate it. I put the cables on as well inside the tiller for a test fit and it seems to be working fine. After figureing out how to adapt the wiring harnesses, I just have to bolt the tiller on and hook up the cables on the motor side and hopefully I am good to go.