1992 Yamaha 30HP shift rod

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
When I pulled the lower unit on my 1992 Yamaha 30HP 2 stroke I accidentally pulled the shift rod out. Completely out, and it doesn't seem to want to go back. Is it possible to reinsert it without taking the whole bottom end apart?

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
OK, like an idiot I was simply putting the shift linkage in backwards. I turned the rod around and it clicked right into place.

However...

When checking out this motor I saw it was not pumping water and when I dropped the lower unit I found there was no water pump at all. I bought the motor knowing it was not running and it was obvious someone had been taking things apart so I was only a little surprised. Problem now is it seems more is missing than just the water pump. From poor photos I've seen it looks like the shift rod has some sort of plate that holds it in place, perhaps incorporated into the bottom of the water pump. When I order a new water pump I want to also get any other parts it may need. Also the parts diagram shows some sort of pipe and fittings in front of the shift rod and I see none of it nor any place it could be, (see photos)

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• photo320770.jpg
    photo320770.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
OK, figured that one out. The lower unit is a 1986 or older. Apparently they bolt up to newer models. Now the parts diagrams make sense.