Tach install 40 hp

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2000 YAMAHA 40 HP 3 CYLINDER 2 STROKE MODEL NUMBER C40trly. I think this motor was a remote control style that someone added the TILLER kit to. I want to install a tach maybe even one that shows a tilt/trim position. Under the hood is a fairly large diameter wiring harness all bundled up. I think that harness is so long because the motor wasn't born as a TILLER motor. Can anyone let me know if I can add a multi function tach and if so what connectors in the harness should I be looking for for tach hookup and tilt/trim? Thanks

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Not sure about where or how you would mount the traditional Yam oem type but I can certainly advise other wise if it’s just a tachometer you want.
Buy a “tiny tach” small digital one. They are deadly accurate and easily mounted. Just requires the pick up cable wrapped round a plug lead on a 2 stroke like this. Tell the device how many cylinders you have and it’s a 2 stroke and it works perfectly. Gives hours etc. Great wee things. Used them a few times on 2 strokes and they are particularly used often on jet skis when setting them up well.