Can broken bolts fastening cylinder head covers be re-sleeved?

hokiepoq

Seaman
I have a 1988 115hp Yamaha outboard and had an overheating issue. The engine runs fine, but in getting off the cover that covers the cylinders (necessary because sand/salt had gotten in there blocking water flow), I broke 7 of the 3 bolts off. I imagine it's not safe running with that configuration. Can a machine shop or marine shop drill out and re-sleeve the 3 bolt holes? I'd hate to trash the engine because of these 3 bolts. Thanks for any help. Oh, and if they can be re-sleeved, who can do that type of work?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
they can drill out and helicoil the bolt holes

hokiepoq

Seaman
So I contacted a marine shop and they said they're too busy to mess with it, that's it's not an easy job. They referred me to a machine shop. I called them and said I would have to pull the block off and bring them just that so they can put it in a machine to re-do the bolt holes. He said "good luck" finding someone who can do it without putting it in a machine. Can't even imagine removing the power head to get these three holes drilled out. Since it seems the only other option is to trash it or sell it for parts, could I just have the cover spot-welded onto the block? Seems crazy for 3 about 1/4" broken bolts to trash a whole engine. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• photo315480.jpg
    photo315480.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • photo315481.jpg
    photo315481.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Have the broken bolts been removed?

Not sure that I understand the 7 of 3 part.

Just find an auto machine shop or any good mechanic.

NAPA will probably do it for you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
So I contacted a marine shop and they said they're too busy to mess with it, that's it's not an easy job. They referred me to a machine shop. I called them and said I would have to pull the block off and bring them just that so they can put it in a machine to re-do the bolt holes. He said "good luck" finding someone who can do it without putting it in a machine. Can't even imagine removing the power head to get these three holes drilled out. Since it seems the only other option is to trash it or sell it for parts, could I just have the cover spot-welded onto the block? Seems crazy for 3 about 1/4" broken bolts to trash a whole engine. Any other suggestions?

he is right, you can either pull the power head yourself or pay someone to pull the power head

no you cant weld it to the block. you really dont understand wrench turning or gasket compression or an internal combustion engine if you asked that question

so do it right, pull the power head, take the power head to a machine shop. they will clamp it to a sin table, they will then index the deck surface to be true with the quill, then they will index the bolt to have the quill centered. only then will they step drill the holes.

expect to pay for 45 minutes of shop time per hole

there is the right way to do things, and they seem like the longest and most painful, however compared to the wrong way, are the least painful and least expensive.