Yamaha 90 TLR fuel economy

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
Is anyone familiar with Yamaha 90 TLR fuel economy ? Would it be about the same as an Evinrude 60 2 stroke ? Each compared at about 78% of rated hp for boat they're on. I'm thinking about buying a boat with the Yamaha 90 on it but I don't want bad fuel economy like the big OceanPro Johnsons

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If wanting the best fuel economy must prop right you motor to run middle to max wot rpm range factory stated as usually loaded, if with a fixed load much better. In both cases, throttle 3/4 to full throttle, once combo is on plane reduce throttle to maintain a perfect plane while the motor revs happily and smoothly..

Correct motor/transom height match, proper trim along proper deck weight distribution is also very important to achieve that wanted fuel economy.

Happy Boating

robert graham

Admiral
My 1999 C90 Yamaha has about the best fuel burn at about 3500 RPM's, just on plane....but if fuel economy is a really big deal then maybe consider a 4 stroke motor....that said, I would not want to part company with my 100% reliable, lightweight, easy to maintain premix 2 stroke motor....20 years running now with never an issue or problem

harringtondav

Commander
Add to above: You want enough hp for your boat. If you don't have enough you'd likely burn more gas by constantly pushing the motor at higher throttle.

Getting a read on fuel consumption is though. We took a three day, 540 mi round trip on the upper Miss. River. Mostly cruising with hole shots leaving the L&Ds. 4 mpg. Regular boating doesn't come close. Pulling toys, short runs between plane ups. Without running different motors on the same boat under similar conditions, it's hard to compare.