How to remove Yamaha 6 hp 2 stroke carb

thatone123

Banned
Picked up this nice condition 6 hp but it still is froze up after a few weeks of penetrating oil and trans fluid and lots of torque wrench and hand wrenching still to no avail. Going to remove parts and take engine apart but am stuck on the carb. How in Gods name do you reach that bolt on the left side facing forward that holds carb to engine??? IT is under the lower plastic air box cover and I hope that once I get that off, I can reach the one on the port side.

thatone123

Banned
Oh well, The only way to get in there is with a very narrow thin wrench and the few I have don't fit. I think the same guy who designed the 737 Boeing soft wear, designed this. I have worked on every portable in this range all brands and this one really sucks! Dumping engine as it is frozen up beyond repair.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??-----How do you spell that--------Software / soft where / soft wear ?----Which is correct ?

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe drop the lower unit to be sure it's the powerhead is locked up....could be in lower unit?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Besides carb's bollt with issues do you think that may have a seized powerhead and or a jammed gear box ? if so,with engine set at neutral, can you pull the cord freely as if starting the engine ? If not, seems you have a seized powerhead.

Remove the starter cord assy, move gear lever to forward position, rotate flywheel CW with hand, does the prop rotates ? If not, the gear box has issues or it's jammed ? Remove the kill cord from the switch just in case..

Happy Boating

Last edited:

thatone123

Banned
The engine will not turn at all with the LU removed, but the LU seems suspect also since the skeg took a hard hit and it broke off. Have seen this problem before and believe that maybe this engine was dunked in Saltwater and probably the whole piston and crank assembly is rusted beyond saving (and sat for a long time) even though the outside of the powerhead looks new.