1990 DT40. Confused what water should be warm...

AndyPandy

Cadet
Hi All,

On my Suzy DT40, should the telltale stream get warm? Because it doesn't seem to.

I guess I'm wondering if the telltale is before or after the thermostat. There is water coming through the exhaust port at the top of the leg, and that is warm.

Just want to check, before I pull the thermostat and have to order a gasket for it.

Cheers,
Andy

robert graham

Admiral
You should go ahead and remove the thermostat and pressure control valve, inspect, clean, etc. If you're careful removing the gasket and apply a thin coat of marine grease to it for re-assembly, you can use it multiple times. I clean my thermostat in a mild acid like vinegar, lemon juice, etc., clean with and old tooth brush....they're about the same as an automotive thermostat and don't much wear out....drop it in a pot of hot water to see if it opens correctly....

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
The pee hole is right after the water pump, the water temp should basically be the same temp as the water source. The water coming from the exhaust is removing the heat it absorbed passing thru the water jacket. Sounds like all is normal to me.

Hi All,

On my Suzy DT40, should the telltale stream get warm? Because it doesn't seem to.

I guess I'm wondering if the telltale is before or after the thermostat. There is water coming through the exhaust port at the top of the leg, and that is warm.

Just want to check, before I pull the thermostat and have to order a gasket for it.

Cheers,
Andy

Mack-McVey

Cadet
I wish you all a very grand day. I am working with a Suzuki DT40 and it has the Power Tilt and Trim ... I think (?) Can anyone tell me what these levers are for. Please. I think it's got something to do with the motor tilt. (I'm new to all this)

Attachments

• photo308226.jpg
    photo308226.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • photo308227.jpg
    photo308227.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

AndyPandy

Cadet
The pee hole is right after the water pump, the water temp should basically be the same temp as the water source. The water coming from the exhaust is removing the heat it absorbed passing thru the water jacket. Sounds like all is normal to me.

Thanks Mike, that's what I'd hoped. The exhaust water is nice and warm, so I'm assuming that the jacket is circulating and cooling the powerhead OK.

AndyPandy

Cadet
I wish you all a very grand day. I am working with a Suzuki DT40 and it has the Power Tilt and Trim ... I think (?) Can anyone tell me what these levers are for. Please. I think it's got something to do with the motor tilt. (I'm new to all this)

Hi Mack,

You're setup looks different to mine. I don't have those levers, and the leg looks different. Does the lever move? Perhaps designed to lock the engine up? Photo of mine attached; sorry for the quality!

Attachments

• photo308244.png
    photo308244.png
    260.8 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Most outboards have a lever you flip up when you tilt the motor all the way up. Then you tilt down a touch to lock the motor up.