Buying a new Yamaha outboard...couple of questions

bbush68

Recruit
I am looking to buy a new Yamaha 25 hp outboard this weekend. Since the dealer with the best deal is a couple of hours of hours away, I wanted to make sure I am understanding everything before I drive over. First, I asked him if it was a new 2019 model because this is what the web page has it advertised as. His response is that it has EFI and will be known as a 2019 model because it will be February of 2019 when the warranty starts. He says that it may show that the motor was made in November 2017 or June 2018 for example, but it will be known as a 2019 model because the warranty will be starting in February 2019 if I buy it this weekend. He says that Yamaha has stopped making their motors designated as a particular year model like a car or whatever. It is totally based on when the warranty was started. If I am not mistaken, it has been within the last year or so that the 25 hp was lightened up and had EFI added to it, so this would mean that it should have been made within the last year or so. Does all of this make sense or does everything sound correct? Second, if I am not mistaken, he said that the motor comes with a prop and a fuel line but not a fuel tank. Do these motors normally come with everything except the fuel tank? Thanks for any responses back.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I know Yamaha stopped assigning model years but I thought that was done 2-3 years ago.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
As noted, Yamaha stopped using model year motors a long while ago. In 2006 actually.

If it is a model with a C on the end of it (an F25SWHC or F25LC for example) then it is the fuel injected model. It will have a production date of December 2016 (12/16) or later on it.

If it is a model with a B on the end of it (an F25LEHB for example) then it has a carburetor. It will have a production date of December 2012 (12/16) or later on it.

Either model could have been made last month or several years ago. If unused and then registered to you at the time of the sale that is when the warranty starts.

There are 8 different versions of the F25C models available. Long shaft, short shaft, electric start, manual start, manual tilt, power tilt, etc..

I suspect someone needs to do some more homework before proceeding to buying that which might not be what they really want. Many having bought a manual start motor later wish they had purchased an electric start model. Same with power trim and tilt.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+1]Get the serial number and call Yamaha customer service at 888-787-5565 and ask them. I talked to them several times with questions about an outboard I was buying from out of state. They are very helpful and take their time answering any question I had. I've never heard about them not designating model year anymore. I purchased a 2017 F150XB and the dealer I bought it from and Yamaha referred to it as a 2017 motor and it was put into service and the warranty started in 2018.[/SIZE][/FONT]

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+1]Get the serial number and call Yamaha customer service at 888-787-5565 and ask them. I talked to them several times with questions about an outboard I was buying from out of state. They are very helpful and take their time answering any question I had. I've never heard about them not designating model year anymore. I purchased a 2017 F150XB and the dealer I bought it from and Yamaha referred to it as a 2017 motor and it was put into service and the warranty started in 2018.[/SIZE][/FONT]
Well, it has only been about 14 years now. Last Yamaha distributed in the USA with a model year designator was in 2005. No more model years since that time frame.

From the Yamaha USA website:

5cxabp.jpg

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the info, that's interesting.

Well, it has only been about 14 years now. Last Yamaha distributed in the USA with a model year designator was in 2005. No more model years since that time frame.

From the Yamaha USA website:

5cxabp.jpg