1986 yamaha gearbox issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 yamaha gearbox issue

I have a 40 HP, 1986 Yamaha ELJ (2 cycle, 3 cylinder) motor. In fall, found water in gear case oil. After searching for replacements which are available, I decided to try to replace the drive shaft and prop shaft seals. Following the recommendations of Dangar Marine and the precautions of the "hack method," I was able to remove and replace the seals. I did a pressure test using home materials after putting the unit back together and inflated to 15 PSA. Pressure was maintained above 10PSI for 3 minutes, and was 6PSI at 8 min. I wonder what the standards for satisfactory pressure test are? thanks. Peter, east end NY

you should be able to hold pressure for days.
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I believe there are accepted specifications for pressure testing lower units and the length of time for a leak down....maybe research this more....

Comment

The Yamaha pressure test specification is for the lower unit to hold rated pressure for ten (10) seconds. Your unit appears to be just fine.

Comment

many thanks for your comments, will continue to research and retest with soap bubbles or underwater.

Comment

Originally posted by pbenotti64@gmail.com View Post
            many thanks for your comments, will continue to research and retest with soap bubbles or underwater.
            For what purpose?

Comment

Mercruiser (I know) procedure is:

Pressurize for 7-10 psi, observe gauge for 5 min.

Rotate d/s, p/s, mo e shift rod while pressurized to check for leaks.

Pressurize to 15-16 psi, observe for 10-15 min.

Rotate d/s...etc.

If pressure drop is noted, immerse in water (or use soap/water), re-pressurize housing and check for air bubbles.

Comment

I normally test 12 hrs or more.-----Do not like to see a pressure drop.-------Testing for 10 seconds, not me.

Comment

Working...
                X