This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucas Power Steering Stop leak - stopped a bad leak

Lucas Power Steering Stop leak - stopped a bad leak in my 2005 F225 hydraulic tilt

UPDATE:December 23
    Added Lucas POWER STEARING stop leak to port tilt.

I used the Very thick and red Lucas PS SL
    Next day still leaking

Dec 28 Friday
    Tilt did not leak today.
    Went into water with mask and looked for leak working the motor
    No leaks spotted and no red transmission fluid floating on water today

Added some more to top off. Added into 15mm fill hole
    Have to squeeze bottle hard because Lucas
    Is thick.
    Titled up and down and no red fluid in water today.

Dec 29 Saturday

Checked the power tilt on the port engine that had an unstoppable fluid leak.
    No leaking after the addition of Lucas Stop leak for hydraulics.
    I’m Amazed.
    This Lucas product can save a 1,000,000 boater with a power tilt leak issue . Read the reviews at Amazon. Get amazed!

Note Lucas Sells many stop leaks. I used the Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak in the picture.

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10008-P.../dp/B000ARPVNO
    Last edited by Performance42; December 29th, 2018, 07:52 AM.

It will leak again, and leak worse. The stop leak at best is a short term fix
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Scott: you ever try Lucas PS SL?
      You were right. It started leaking again after working the tilt motor, but just a slight leak. I have 3/4 of a bottle of LUCAS PS ST left, and will try and locate the leak with my mask tomorrow.
      It's not leaking from any of the (3) ram seals. This Lucas can slow this leak down to next to nothing. it's very thick. One Amazon reviewer said it stopped his PS leak for 6 months.
      UPDATE: Went back into the water with a mask to locate the leak. Filled up with Lucas with 15MM socket and ratchet. Worked the tilt from in the water using the up/down switch on side of cowling. Kept looking underwater with my mask. There were no leaks, and the engine tilted up and down. No fluid floating around on the surface either.
      Somehow, at some point, it seems to leak a little, but Lucas PS ST has slowed the leak down significantly.

Comment

All the leak stop crap does is chemically swell seals. Most of the time the seals fail quickly after that.

You need to pull the system apart and re-seal. There is no majic mechanic in a can, only snake oil comes in a can
        Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
        1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
        2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
        1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Came across natemoore’s Post here. I have a hydraulic leak every time I tilt up one of my f225 (2005). I added some Lucas power steering stop leak today and when I tilted the engine up, no leak.

not sure how long this will work. Try and get back tomorrow after I run the engine up and down some more. He he!

Lucas is thick red stuff and is probably only increasing the viscosity. Same as tranny fluid or hrdraulic fluid from Yamaha?

Comment

Went to the boat today. Hit the tilt switch up and down, and the Lucas Power Steering Stop leak I added on Dec 23rd is working. Not a drop of red fluid in the water.

Previous to using the Lucas PS ST, the power tilt would always leak when I tilted the engine.

I believe my tilt is leaking from the fittings (2) underneath the center ram that pushes the motor all the way up. These fittings are under water 24/7, and you need a dive mask to see them.

Next time I see even one drop of red fluid on the water after applying the PT, I'll go in the water (about 80 degrees today), and see if I can see exactly where fluid is "squirting/dribbling" from.

Hey. Lucas is a pretty famous guy. Got a NASCAR race or two named after the company.

Comment

Band-aid at best..

Comment

Please take note
                Originally posted by Performance42 View Post
                Not permitted
                reread the rules you agreed to when you joined

Solicitation not permitted, as such 2 topics have been deleted
                Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

Originally posted by jbcurt00 View Post
                  Please take note

Not a Solicitation. I don't work for Lucas Oil. Rather inept moderator opinion IMO.

It's obvious you still haven't read the Forum Rules'.......
                  9. If you have questions, concerns, suggestions or complaints about the rules, moderation, or management of this site please contact a moderator via PM or iboats management for discussion. It is forbidden to debate these rules or their enforcement in the forum.
                  If you have problems, questions, feedback or suggestions about the forums or the iboats website, please post your comments HERE.

Here's the link, please take a moment to read them.
                  https://forums.iboats.com/forum/foru...ules-attention

WIMUSKY

Because you are wrong about Lucas Power Steering Stop leak you hurt other boaters with similar problems.

Lucas doesn't need your money or mine. They got RASCAR races - much more important.

Just writing about my experience.
                  Last edited by WIMUSKY; January 1st, 2019, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Clearly this topic is still open, the 2 other topics you started that were soliciting were deleted
                    Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

Performance42, PLEASE checkout your last post....

Comment

Originally posted by WIMUSKY View Post
                        Band-aid at best..
                        Lucas Oil has made a fortune on "his band aid" solutions. Stopped my power tilt leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
                          All the leak stop crap does is chemically swell seals. Most of the time the seals fail quickly after that.

You need to pull the system apart and re-seal. There is no majic mechanic in a can, only snake oil comes in a can
                          You are so wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by jbcurt00 View Post
                            Please take note

Lucas Power Steering Stop leak works. Happy user here.

Comment

Originally posted by Performance42 View Post

Lucas Oil has made a fortune on "his band aid" solutions. Stopped my power tilt leak.
                              Of course they did. Get back to us when it starts leaking again...

Comment

Working...
                              X