2006 Yamaha 50 Primestart swtich

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 06 50hp Yamaha that is hard to start when cold. I squeez the bulb a few times, hold the choke in for a couple of seconds and it's still takes a while to start. I know I have a Prime switch and it is in the correct position, today when I first started it I flipped it clockwise 1 turn to the "ON" position. The baby fired right up on the 1st turn, ran it out on the lake and it smoked really bad and ended up dying on me. Put it back into the "Normal" and got it going. Any ideas why it is not working on the "Normal" position? After it warms up starts almost right up with the first turn of the key. I do know that the normal position is suppose to allow more fuel in and when something inside the prime switch warms up it's suppose to go back to normal intake for fuel.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
pushing the choke in(key switch) does nothing on a prime start motor.

When turning it to the on position to start a motor, you should turn it back to the normal or the off position once the motor has started

just turn the key to start for a couple of seconds, let off the key, and repeat.
should fire up cold in 2 or 3 tries.

do not move the throttle or warm up lever for starting

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
pushing the choke in(key switch) does nothing on a prime start motor.

When turning it to the on position to start a motor, you should turn it back to the normal or the off position once the motor has started

just turn the key to start for a couple of seconds, let off the key, and repeat.
should fire up cold in 2 or 3 tries.

do not move the throttle or warm up lever for starting

Thanks, I didn't know about the pushing key in thing, my problem is it's on a pontoon and easily accessible, I have to crawl back to the motor, take off cover, etc. Do you know there is anyway to actually test the prime start unit to see if it's working? thanks

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks, I didn't know about the pushing key in thing, my problem is it's on a pontoon and easily accessible, I have to crawl back to the motor, take off cover, etc. Do you know there is anyway to actually test the prime start unit to see if it's working? thanks

Sorry I meant to say the prime start switch is NOT easily accessible.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
If it is very hard to start, I would clean the carbs and make sure all of the passages are clean, including the ones for the Prime start system