Why do I have two fuel lines? My dad passed away and left me his boat need help.

davefla

Cadet
My father passed away and left me his boat. While testing the boat Heny O/w Yamaha 90hp outboard I noticed two fuel lines but only one connection to the motor. Can someone look at the pictures and give me some help. There is a portable fuel tank that has a fuel connection. There is another fuel line coming out of the floor and it runs into the same compartment where the portable fuel tanks is located. Also I posted a picture of what looks like a hose with cap what does that do? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• photo303743.jpg
    photo303743.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo303744.jpg
    photo303744.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303745.jpg
    photo303745.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo303746.jpg
    photo303746.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303747.jpg
    photo303747.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Not an OB guy but this is not a fuel line fitting, its a garden hose type

fetch

Would use it as a fresh water motor flush

davefla

Cadet
Thanks for taking a look at the pictures. I'm most concern about pictures 3&4 there is a fuel line coming out of the compartment it runs under the floor. Where does that fuel line go? I attached a fuel line from the portable fuel tank to the outboard and it starts without any issues. With that being said where does the other fuel line go?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If you are talking about where this fuel line goes, open the compartment where it goes to. I see a hatch there.
fetch

davefla

Cadet
I open the compartment the fuel line runs under the floor from the front of the boat into that compartment then out the side (in picture). The portable fuel thank is next to where the line comes out. The pump on the fuel line coming out of the compartment shows the fuel going toward the portable fuel tank. I hope this helps.

I did start the motor with the flush attached using the portable fuel tank. I attached the fuel line directly to the Yamaha 90hp motor and it ran fine. So I can't understand why there is an extra fuel line.

tpenfield

Staff member
The one that looks like garden hose should be the fresh water flush adapter. Normally it remains connected as part of the cooling system.

davefla

Cadet
I can't thank you enough that was it. My dad must have had the portable tank as a reserve.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
or the main tank could be fouled with bad gas, so instead of draining and cleaning he just used a portable one