Yamaha 6HP Outboard grinding on startup

ChrisCT

Recruit
Hi. I have a 2017 6hp Yamaha outboard for my inflatable dinghy. I've only had it for a couple of weeks and it is running great. However, just recently it began to make a grinding noise when trying to start (pulling the rope). It's the same sound that it makes if you tried to start up in gear. However, I've confirmed that it's not in gear and the engine will start, and after it's running, everything runs fine. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the recoil starter interlock needs adjustment.-----Hurry to dealer for warranty fix.

ChrisCT

Recruit
Thank you for your response. I am new to outboards so I appreciate the helpful input.

robert graham

Admiral
Remove a few bolts and remove the recoil starter unit....then check and lubricate it with some oil....you can do it!....

ChrisCT

Recruit
Again...many thanks. I will give it a try and update. Hopefully I can pay back by helping someone else out here in the future!

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
You MAY be able to do it...but then, you MAY void your warranty.

Let the Dealer do it...there'll be plenty of time to fix it yourself after the warranty expires.

robert graham

Admiral
You MAY be able to do it...but then, you MAY void your warranty.

Let the Dealer do it...there'll be plenty of time to fix it yourself after the warranty expires.

Probably the best idea....I'm sorta used to fixing things myself and my 1999 motor is out of warranty!