Fuel Issues

mutiny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've got a Suzuki outboard 60hp 4-stroke, fuel injected engine with some fuel issues. The boat starts and runs across the lake with no problems for about 6 minutes. The engine will then start to sputter and shut down. I will need to prime up the fuel system and the engine will fire up instantly and repeat the 6 minute run. This allows me to start the boat and drive around until the same thing happens again. So, here is what I know for sure.

I've checked the pickup tube in the tank. No cracks or leaks. Just for testing purposes, I've installed a fuel nipple without a check ball to see if it was obstructing flow. Changed the fuel lines from the tank, primmer bulb, and connector to the engine. All of the fuel lines on the engine side are good and no debris or obstructions. The fuel filter on the engine is changed and fresh with no debris. The fuel to the VST has no restrictions. The injectors all fire as they should.

When the engine runs out of gas the fuel lines from the tank to the engine is empty. This could be because of the missing check ball in the fuel nipple. The fuel filter on the engine is still completely full. I pulled the hose that feeds the VST from the lift pump, and it filled a glass jar quite quickly. I didn't have a fuel pressure tester on hand. My thoughts are that the VST is running dry, leaving the rest of the fuel in the lines behind it. This would have to be from the lift pump not feeding the VST, so the problem will end up being the lift pump? The lift pump has no issues filling up a jar rather quickly, so this is my concern. I've checked all fuel line connections and there are no leaks.

Any suggestions?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
If VST is running out of gas, then either your pump to fill it is not doing what it should or it is sucking air instead of fuel

mutiny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If VST is running out of gas, then either your pump to fill it is not doing what it should or it is sucking air instead of fuel

I was kind of thinking that as well. Just wasn't sure if anyone else has experienced this to help verify the solution. I'll dig this one out and throw a fuel pump test.